Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water/condensation coming out of left muffler after parking

Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Water/condensation coming out of left muffler after parking

Back in April I got my current ride, a 2008 E-Glide Classic 96" Six-speed, all stock. After I got it, I decided I wanted a little more get up and go, and a little more sound, so I had my indy mechanic modify the air-cleaner backplate and put in a K&N fliter, change the stock mufflers for 3.5" Basani slash-up slip ons on the stock headers with the crossover Y-pipe, NGK Iridium plugs, and install a SESPT tuner, then I took it to one of the local area dealers and had them DYNO it, runs great, gets around 38.5 MPG, starts right up everytime, has good bottom end torque, and good throttle response at high speed too, but everytime I go for a ride, whether it's 10 miles or a 100 miles, after I get to where I'm going and park it, within minutes I notice water coming out the back of the left muffler, sometimes it drips through the little hole where the baffle bolt goes in, and it usually leaves a water spot about the size of a half dollar. Is this normal? This is my first bike that has O-2 sensors, and when the indi installed the slip ons he sugested a smaller baffle in the left one, to avoid fresh air reversion, and he did that. I've seen water leaking out of car and truck exhaust before, but not on a bike, so I just wonder is this anything I need to worry about? Later, I might consider the FULLSAC true-dual kit, and some different slip ons, as the Basani are a little louder than stock, but not as loud as I was looking for, but I'm happy with the bike's performance for now.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For every gallon of gas you burn, the combustion process produces a gallon of water. Hence the steam in the winter coming out of the tailpipe and why car exhaust's rust out quicker than the rest of the car. I wouldn't worry about it. Check the oil for excessive sludge if your prone to taking many short trips around town.

cheers

Old 06-07-2012, 10:16 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The residual heat in a muffler will condense water out of the air. It's normal. It happens in the engine too, which is why you are told not to start an engine in winter and idle it for a few minutes. As long as the engine runs long enough to evaporate all the water, the only water build-up will be from the one run cycle. Left muffler gets less engine gasses and heat and may take longer to steam off water from previous run cycle.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Water is a by-product of the combustion process. It's normal.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

So that explains why by the time Ive got 3k miles on my oil it looks.... somewhat sludgy. Just figured these motors cook oil and its normal....have to re-evaluate the effects condensation burnoff has on my oil and how I can minimize it..... Interesting.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Pretty normal, however if it starts to have other strange symtoms take it back to the indie and have it analyzed

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Water is generated by the catalytic and by condensation. It is reduced greatly when an engine is run long enough to heat up completely and it has had enough time.heat to evaporate the water trapped in the catalytic and pipe. Letting a bike idle to warm up and then not ride it is the worst. Short hops to the store and back is next.
1) Warm it up only if you are going for a ride.
2) Take the long way from now on. Tell your significant other that you are protecting our investment by taking a long ride.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:20 PM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I noticed this, I was just getting back from at least a 30 mile ride, and the temp. outside was in the mid 80s, and this is a 2008, so it does not have the cat. conv. as the newer bikes do, but it does have the stock head pipes with the crossover Y pipe that is stock on 08 and earlier models, and with that set up it appears that 75% or more of the exhaust goes out the right pipe, and very little exhaust goes out the left pipe, almost like a 2 into 1, and after I park it, even after a very long ride, not only does the left pipe have this clear, unscented liquid coming out, but it gets cool very quickly that you can even touch it, but the right pipe stays hot a long time, and the inside of the left pipe is very clean, and the right pipe has all the charcoal colored soot inside. Other than this, the bike runs very good, and I normally ride it a good ways anywhere I go, I don't do too many short runs on it like to the store and back. Later, if I don't do the FULLSAC true dual kit, I might do a 2 into 1 like V&H PRO-PIPE or D&F F.C., but I just had it DYNO'd with the current set up, so I'm going to leave it as is for now.