Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin 655 XM Antenna location?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Garmin 655 XM Antenna location?

Just installed a Garmin with the XM. I have the antenna under the faring and have horrible reception. When I move it to the outside of the faring It improves dramatically. Where do you guys have yours. On my other bike I have the XM module and the antenna is under the faring and the reception is great. Hell this antenna from Garmin is twice the size as the one from Harley for the XM module for gods sake!

Last edited by SpiderPig; 06-10-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Just installed a Garmin with the XM. I have the antenna under the faring and have horrible reception. When I move it to the outside of the faring It improves dramatically. Where do you guys have yours. On my other bike I have the XM module and the antenna is under the faring and the reception is great. Hell this antenna from Garmin is twice the size as the one from Harley for the XM module for gods sake!
The one that comes with the HD XM kit is the compact version which works as good or not better then the flat pancake version that comes with Sirius/XM radios. I have both and they both work great. On the bike, I use the pancake version stuck on top of the radio.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is under the Faring, on top of the Radio. No reception issues.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 AM
PAPAFISH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is mounted on top of the radio has no problems

Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

OK, Now for the update of my Dumb A$$ moment. I just realized that I had installed a matting to the inside of the outer fairing for better sound. Once I removed this matting that was over the XM antenna area, no more reception issues. Thanks for the reply's guys. I hope this will help others not to repeat a "NO SH T" moment!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master

Hey guys, I just bought the Garmin with the XM and the reception is very poor. I'm told its mounted under the fairing, no mention of it mounted on top of the radio under the fairing. Will my fancy chrome windshield trip cause no reception. That piece looks nice on the bike but is the metal causing the reception problems. Or does that huge pancake size antenna need to be moved to the top of the radio under the fairing?

karen

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have mine mounted on top of the radio. The reception is good but will get blocked when in a valley. Need to make sure that the wire bundles are not covering the antenna.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Skeet7373
Road Master

I taked to the dealer and they are mounting the antenna's on the radio. Now the process of figuring out if the antenna is bad, connections, for my only chrome fancy trim piece is blocking the signal. I can get the signal for a while then its gone never to return. I rode west one day and it worked for almost a 100 miles on two lane rodes, but that is the only time its worked for a period of time. Mostly it works for about a minute then off, no signal.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

This is the 3rd bike I've had my HD X-M mod in (I keep transferring whatever I can from bike to bike).
The X-M worked fine with the antenna installed inside the fairing.
Then on this bike the SE FLHX it was useless dropping the signal all the time.
I moved it to the outside and it has been flawless ever since.

I moved it to the little shelf between the windshield bags:

Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master

Is the antenna different from the pancake one in the 665 kit or the smaller one for the XM H-K mod. The size is different but are the antennas different. Garmin has told my dealer that mine either works or it doesn't work. Sometimes it comes on and plays for a minute, goes off and might not come back on. Then it may come on and work for a few miles then go off again, and will not show a signal.

So, does this mean the antenna is good, but has a poor line of sight? or does the antenna need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Garmin 655 XM Antenna location?