Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I ??? get correct paint to match on hard bag conversion - 2011 RKC

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts
Default How do I ??? get correct paint to match on hard bag conversion - 2011 RKC

I'm considering converting to hard bags on my two-tone light/dark Candy Root Beer 2011 RKC - FLHR and would like to get them painted the same color scheme as the tins.,
Is it a well kept top secret on the color code to match and if not where would I be able to purchase the paint?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my paint work done by a local auto body where they have a computer that can match any color paint. A friend took his 03 SE road king in and they matched the paint with the bike being 9 years old.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM
JRandall
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good local body shop should be able to match it. I'm no paint man, but I've been around it enough to know that alot of that metallic paint is put on in layers, so it takes a good paint man to make it all match even if you have the right paint codes.

Love those colors, makes a great looking bike, just not the easiest thing to match.

Last edited by JRandall; 06-11-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Your local PPG auto paint distributor can supply the PPG paint codes and mix the paint for you; ditto PPG auto body shops that have the PPG mixing station and access to PPG's intranet where the paint formulas are accessible--it's how auto body shops match paint when doing auto repairs and the computers have HD colors as well. PPG uses the year, model, and color name to access the codes and formulae.

Suggestion--have the side covers two-toned as well.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: A good painter will shoot test panels (called spray-outs) to get a great match.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought color-matched hard bags to replace my leather saddlebags.

If you haven't acquired your hard bags yet, you might consider ordering the color-matched bags (I'm assuming they are offered for your two-tone color). Even for my single color with pin-stripes bags, it was less expensive just to order the new bags from Jon at Horny Toad HD than to find used bags WITH all the hardware and then have them painted to match.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:02 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious about this. I also have the two tone rootbeer and have wondered about the paint match because I swear that depending on the light the color of this bike has about 10 different looks. My old Electra Glide was the same way but the color was called candy brandy wine I think.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Your local PPG auto paint distributor can supply the PPG paint codes and mix the paint for you; ditto PPG auto body shops that have the PPG mixing station and access to PPG's intranet where the paint formulas are accessible--it's how auto body shops match paint when doing auto repairs and the computers have HD colors as well. PPG uses the year, model, and color name to access the codes and formulae.

Suggestion--have the side covers two-toned as well.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: A good painter will shoot test panels (called spray-outs) to get a great match.
this is exactly what I was hoping to hear... thx !

Originally Posted by Nirvana
I just bought color-matched hard bags to replace my leather saddlebags.

If you haven't acquired your hard bags yet, you might consider ordering the color-matched bags (I'm assuming they are offered for your two-tone color). Even for my single color with pin-stripes bags, it was less expensive just to order the new bags from Jon at Horny Toad HD than to find used bags WITH all the hardware and then have them painted to match.
re: (I'm assuming they are offered for your two-tone color) ... never seen or heard of two-tone Candy Root Beer hard bags, will check with Jon at Horny Toad HD
my bike POPS real nice now in the sun, could just imagine the look with two-tone Candy Root Beer hard bags, it'll be (∙)(∙)

Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

HD offered the root beer on the Ultra and SG--IIRC, there was a difference in how the two-tone and pinstriping was done so you may have a choice--absolutely hard bags were available on those models.

Carl

Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
HD offered the root beer on the Ultra and SG--IIRC, there was a difference in how the two-tone and pinstriping was done so you may have a choice--absolutely hard bags were available on those models.

Carl
Wow ! this gives me hope... they were factory, I'd consider giving up my left nut and some cash for a set of these baby's, impossible to find?????

Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Buckn... If the Two/tone root beer was offered on the standard FLHR for the same yr then ask yer dealer for a discount...then order Mine were easy.. vivid but wanted the med-silver pins from same year.

Spendin other peoples money is fun !!

SC

Quick Reply: How do I ??? get correct paint to match on hard bag conversion - 2011 RKC