Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger wobble???

Old 06-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by JRandall
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but your riding a touring bike, if you want to run 80-85 through turns your on the wrong bike.
Not at all! .... Sweepers and winding roads are a great deal of fun ( and very do-able ) on a bagger if all is set up properly ... my wife and I recently spent a lot of miles in North Carolina ( I've ridden in 46 of the 50 states ) and damn near wore the side walls off my 09 FLHTCU .... and believe it or not, one of her first comments was "This barge is a lot more friendly in the corners than the old bike ( a 1992 FLHTCU ) ... Granted it's not a canyon carver or a crotch rocket, but the new chassis are a WHOLE LOT better than the old units ... You might want to take "grbrown's" advice and loosen up on the bars a bit .... be careful not to grind off the floorboards Brother!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
My bike did it for the first time yesterday on a long sweeping turn i take regularly take at speed. Yesterday i got smoked by a guy on a dyna
From the light he pulles a wheely midway through intersection and is gone. I caught him as he slowed for turn. I slowed to 90 and entered. A cross wind was blowing at a good clip and i backed off till the wobble stopped at 80. I picked it back up past the apex and rolled back on. I noticed te dyna was wobbling too when i passed in the inside lane
I didnt have any more wobble up to triple digits after that.
My sons 88 inch 2006 softail standard is quicker than my 106. Stock! That bike is crazy. I never felt it wobble either...lol

Last edited by Gliden; 06-16-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not ride that fast, I must be getting old....

The tru trac ( TT ) sounds like a plan though for mine bike even though I am not real aggressive
our group does ride the twisty roads, think that a TT would be good for that too.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
I do not ride that fast, I must be getting old....

The tru trac ( TT ) sounds like a plan though for mine bike even though I am not real aggressive
our group does ride the twisty roads, think that a TT would be good for that too.
You don't need tru track on a 2009 and later frame. Leave your 2011 alone! I've got over 10,000 miles on mine and there is NO WOBBLE at any speed in any conditions. I ride the hell out of it throught the twisties, on sweepers, on the highway. Don't fix it! It ain't broke!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
You don't need tru track on a 2009 and later frame. Leave your 2011 alone! I've got over 10,000 miles on mine and there is NO WOBBLE at any speed in any conditions. I ride the hell out of it throught the twisties, on sweepers, on the highway. Don't fix it! It ain't broke!
I have an 09 and rode the ***** off it no wobble. Now it's got a scary wobble. Not saying it's the frame not saying it's not either. All I know is something ain't right and if tt can help....I'm in.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i experienced a similar issue on my 04 after i lowered the front 2 inches with a 21. Replaced the 21 with an 18, raised it up and inch in the front and the wobble dimished significantly. put 47 lbs in my rear metzler and it went completely away but the metzler wears out in 5 k miles.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Ive now read every wobble thread. Still nothing seems to be thee top 3 things that cause it. Everyone is guessing and hoping. Maybe 1 thread every 50 says their ok now. Pretty mysterious thing going on here....

Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 PM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run metzeler tires front and rear, the higher the tire pressure the better it seems to handle. I usually run 48 psi in the rear and 46 psi in the front. It handles the best at those pressures. as for not needing a true track I have one and I did notice the bike feels a lot tighter in any riding condition. Wondering if I should have went with a glide pro kit instead.

Jay

Old 06-16-2012, 10:22 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Ive now read every wobble thread. Still nothing seems to be thee top 3 things that cause it. Everyone is guessing and hoping. Maybe 1 thread every 50 says their ok now. Pretty mysterious thing going on here....
I have ridden the turn that i experienced the wobble on yesterday many times solo and 2 up at the same speed and never a wobble. With and without my yaffee bars and with amd without the agitator wheels. Not sure what caused it. I did notice the forks flex a bunch when i bump a grip with my palm firmly, both parked and moving at slow speed. I have new bearings and ohlin 6 Shocks from howard

Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I disagree with more than 55k miles, but I might tend to ride a little faster than others. At any resonable speed the bike handles quiet well, but when pushed it can bite you. Now compared to the earlier frames which I don't have a lot of experince, but I do have some I find the difference to be night and day. I've never owned a bike thats handling couldn't be improved, some you have to push pretty hard though to need it. Screen shot is from a road trip I don't always pay attention to the posted speed limit.

added: I haven't experinced any wobble in tight twisty conditions, but I have during high speed sweepers, it's not all the time, but it's happened to me before (more than once) and never at the posted speed limit. Throttle input seems to make a difference in making it either happen or not happen and getting through it safely.

This is an older frame, but I still don't believe it 100% cured on the newer bikes, 100% better yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmw6QppXnEY

Last edited by EricD10563; 06-17-2012 at 04:08 AM. Reason: added content

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bagger wobble???