Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor rear shocks vs Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
justastreetglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ricor rear shocks vs Ohlins

Anyone use the Ricor anymore? I noticed a while back they were the most popular, but now it seems everyone is going with Ohlins. Guess Ohlins has their sh** together? How about a comparison?

Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohlins have the reputation. They are the shock to benchmark.

I have never seen a back to back comparison.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I bought a set of Ricor and could never get them dialed in , I ran Progressive 940's previously and they were way better than stock , the Ricor were not as good as stock to me , I went to Ohlin's and they are the best I have found and far superior to the 940's

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello, I'm Dave and I'm am Ohlins koolaid drinker.

I've had them on every sport/race bike I've ever owned. Once dialed in they are fantastic. They will tend to be on the firm side. I think Ricor is a good company. I have intiminators in my forks and am very happy with them. I have never tried their shocks. I don't have the money to experiment so I went with a product that I knew best. You will find very few negative reviews of Ohlins. Some of that is that after someone drops that large of a chunk of change they tend to rave about the product but you would still get more negativity than what is out there if they weren't good. I bought them because my wife has a disc problem and she has been riding pain free since I put them on. With a little adjustment I am good to go blasting through twisties comfortably.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
I bought a set of Ricor and could never get them dialed in , I ran Progressive 940's previously and they were way better than stock , the Ricor were not as good as stock to me , I went to Ohlin's and they are the best I have found and far superior to the 940's
On my 98 Wide Glide, I worked with my Ricors for a long while and could not get them dialed in either. Tried different oil, etc. Probably had too much preload. Definitely wrong springs. Took them out and shelved them.

But after 2 years on progressive springs and 15W oil, I sent the ricors to Fabrikator and he did his mods to them. Added Racetech straight rate springs for my weight, and now I have a match for the Ohlins out back. Seriously good mods.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Once you get to the more expensive shocks few of us try different brands side by side. More common is to try several of the cheaper shocks out there, before finally realising that cheap can be expensive and buying a more expensive option, then staying with them.

One reason Ohlins stands out is that Howard of Motorcycle Metal custom builds them to his own special recipe, to match each customer, so most of us who enthuse about them are not using over-the-counter Ohlins.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justastreetglide
Anyone use the Ricor anymore? I noticed a while back they were the most popular, but now it seems everyone is going with Ohlins. Guess Ohlins has their sh** together? How about a comparison?

Here are two.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...r-comparo.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...omparison.html

More in depth.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...view-long.html

Mud did some testing and comparisons of our prototypes early on.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...6-shocked.html

Brian