Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHR Rear Brake Pad Change Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FLHR Rear Brake Pad Change Report

20 minute job- 02 FLRH Road King.
I'm posting this because I searched and searched and didn't see a really good answer to the question (asked more than once) "Do you have to remove the wheel and $hit to change rear brake pads on a bagger?"

Simply: NO you do not have to remove **** to replace rear pads except for the two 12 point 1/4" pad pins. You DO need 12 point 1/4" socket: may may not be easy to find on Friday night, so get one now. I got one at ACE HARDWARE after making a dozen calls trying to find one.

Referring to the service manual:
    • Use a stiff scraper to move the INSIDE pistons (two per side) back into the caliper. Dont scratch the rotor.
    • Loosen and pull the pins back (NOT ALL THE WAY) just until the INSIDE pads are free- remove pads from bottom.
    • Replace the inside pads, re-install pins (dont fully tighten) and pump the brake pedal to lock the rear pads between the rotor/ piston so inside pads don't fall out.
      • On the outside pads you can sight down the hole and move pads until they align with the pin/ hole.
      • Replace the pins and torque to spec.

NOTES:
      Likely the same process for 01 to 2007 FLHx models- check your service manual....

I'm running Lyndall Z-pad carbon Kevlar pads- dust free- super stopping, quiet, MADE IN USA.

Apologize If someone already answered or described how to do this- the HDFORUMS search engine is pretty crappy.

Last edited by Kbore; 06-16-2012 at 10:32 AM.
      The following users liked this post:
      pdbuzz (07-15-2017)
      Old 06-16-2012, 03:04 PM
      RevBlk
      Road Master
      Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Good write up

Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM
      TUCCI
      Extreme HDF Member
      Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM
      103 sedona orange
      Ultimate HDF Member
      Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Good job, thanks.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:47 PM
      Johansson
      Cruiser
      Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those brake pad replacement instructions are golden. I just got done replacing rear pads on my 2007 Street Glide and it took me all of 20-25 minutes. Thanks Kbore for the post.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
      jeffreydsilver
      Ultimate HDF Member
      Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Just did the rear brakes on my 09 Road King when the dealer did the 10,000 service. Rear pads - $45 Labor - $15 Billed out at .17 hrs.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 PM
      HDmikie
      Outstanding HDF Member
      Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbore
      20 minute job- 02 FLRH Road King.
      I'm posting this because I searched and searched and didn't see a really good answer to the question (asked more than once) "Do you have to remove the wheel and $hit to change rear brake pads on a bagger?"

Simply: NO you do not have to remove **** to replace rear pads except for the two 12 point 1/4" pad pins. You DO need 12 point 1/4" socket: may may not be easy to find on Friday night, so get one now. I got one at ACE HARDWARE after making a dozen calls trying to find one.

Referring to the service manual:
        • Use a stiff scraper to move the INSIDE pistons (two per side) back into the caliper. Dont scratch the rotor.
        • Loosen and pull the pins back (NOT ALL THE WAY) just until the INSIDE pads are free- remove pads from bottom.
        • Replace the inside pads, re-install pins (dont fully tighten) and pump the brake pedal to lock the rear pads between the rotor/ piston so inside pads don't fall out.
          • On the outside pads you can sight down the hole and move pads until they align with the pin/ hole.
          • Replace the pins and torque to spec.

NOTES:
          Likely the same process for 01 to 2007 FLHx models- check your service manual....

I'm running Lyndall Z-pad carbon Kevlar pads- dust free- super stopping, quiet, MADE IN USA.

Apologize If someone already answered or described how to do this- the HDFORUMS search engine is pretty crappy.
          Great write-up, except I think you forgot to mention removing the master cylinder cover before compressing the pistons. When you compress the pistons the brake fluid has to have somewhere to go. After removing the M/C cover I just wrap a rag around the M/C to prevent the brake fluid from dripping on anything.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:49 PM
          nvsteve
          Ultimate HDF Member
          Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
          Just did the rear brakes on my 09 Road King when the dealer did the 10,000 service. Rear pads - $45 Labor - $15 Billed out at .17 hrs.
          The Brembo's must be really easy. Can't imagine doing my 07 in 10 minutes.