Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over full

Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts
Default over full

ok, here is the situation. Just got back on Monday from a 3500 round trip ride to ROT in Austin. Cut bike off in garage and have not touched it since. Went out to change oil and filter. (i change every 2500 miles and use converntional 20W / 50 oil).

I proceed to check oil and find i am one half quart low. No big deal, rode home at 80 to 90 plus so figured that was cause.

Start bike and warm it up. Drain old oil and let it drain until no drips. replace drain plug, change filter and surprise, no oil comes out of the filter when i spin it off. I think this is a bit odd, but ok.

REplace filter with new HD filter (black) and Refill oil. 3.5 qts of 20W /50.

start bike and notice it spins real slow. check oil pressure its rock solid at 35 PSI. let it run for a few minutes, check for leaks and then cut it off.

Clean up garage, take care of old oil and get everything set for recycling.

Wash bike, get it dry and then pull stick to check oil figuring it has had time to cool off. Stick shows bike is a approx 1/2 to 1 quart over full? WTF!

figure ok, i am just reading it wrong. Make certain it is on side stand at proper angle, pull stick after i wipe it completely clean. IT still reads a quart over full. We are not talking in the middle, no, over the cool top line and up another approx 1/2 inch.

Bike is a 04, road glide, 95 in, gear drive cams with a baisley spring and 10 row jag oil cooler.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am preplexed. I only had 4 quarts of oil so i know i did not over fill it, i got 3.5 quarts out of it so i know it was empty and i still have a half a quart of clean oil. Filter was new, just got it at harley yesterday afternoon.

I am thinking i have a blockage that is not allowing the oil to circulate to the filter. Maybe the jagg thermostat is stuck closed?

Bike ran like a champ on the way home. 900 plus miles in 17 hours, no issues other than I noticed a drop in fuel economy from 37 to 30, figured it was because it was cool and i was running 80 to 90. oil temp never got above 200. bike made no unusual noises.

Anyone?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

>>Wash bike, get it dry and then pull stick to check oil figuring it has had time to cool off. Stick shows bike is a approx 1/2 to 1 quart over full? WTF!<<

I think you need to check oil while at riding temp?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks for the idea, however would think that as the oil gets warm the volume goes up not down. For the 44K miles i have had this bike, i have checked it cold with great success and no issues. Got any other ideas? do you have an idea of the potential mechanical problem or are you only an expert on checking oil?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Dawg is your man for this question. Have heard of this happening before and it was a seal failure allowing fluid from another chamber to leak into the oil. As I am no wrench, this could all be bullsh*t as usual.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks Appreciate the contact. I will see if Dawg reviews and answers

Old 06-16-2012, 10:02 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your pump is starting to fail on the scavenge side causing sumping, but it started working after cooling off and pumped the extra oil back into the reservior.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

This problem is certainly one that we don't see twice a day. From a long distance away it sounds like oil pump is having issues. I don't suppose you have pulled off the new oil filter since replacing it to see if it fills with oil have you? It might even be an issue with the oil cooler. That extra 1/2 quart of oil was rat holed somewhere.
This definitely bears watching. Be sure and let us all know when you get to the bottom of it. It has been a long time since I have caught Gremlins sitting on my Harley in the garage (late at night and usually in the dark) but you can't be too sure.

Last edited by Retrop; 06-16-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Dawg is your man for this question. Have heard of this happening before and it was a seal failure allowing fluid from another chamber to leak into the oil. As I am no wrench, this could all be bullsh*t as usual.
Don't know why this didn't occur to me, but if you are gaining fluid in your oil from what I think would be the transmission, then the transmission level would be low. I do think if Dawg sees this thread he will answer.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, I would like to know the cause.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:19 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

update,

checked tranny to see if missing any oil, tranny full of bell ray 85 / 140 no issues. Checked primary, primary full of good ole 10/40

checked oil again, still a quart over full

took oil filter off, minimal oil in filter,

took off Jagg adapter on oil filter housing.

re-installed same oil filter.

started engine, rock solid oil pressure at 35 PSI,

ran for 30 minutes, i figured if it was going to come apart what better place to do it than in garage

oil temp got to 180 per temp gauge idling for 30 minutes in 90 degree garage

shut off.

checked oil.

right on target, mid point of stick between full cold and full warm.

Appears the problem lies in the jagg 10 row oil cooler. Either a

defect in the housing (no thermostat, older model)

blockage in cooler itself

or a hose that was collapsing

comments? or is this just a brief reprieve before further trouble?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: over full