Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing The Heat Demon

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:16 PM
freebooter
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Angry Chasing The Heat Demon

Hi All,

For those willing to listen here's my story:

A few months ago I decided to put some SE204 cams in my '09 FLHX. I did the cams, new style stamped breathers and the Auto-tune module for my PCV with a map from Fuel Moto with AFRs at 13.8 in the cruise range. After riding it a few times, the motor felt hotter than usual. After one ride on a 90 degree day my digital dipstick read 290. So I did some reading and thought maybe I was sumping as I followed the S&S cam swap video and left the oil pump bolted to the cam plate and didn't align it.

At this time I had some preferred buyer points to cash in at my local dealer. So I figured if I'm going back into the cam chest I'm going to upgrade to the SE cam plate and larger oil pump. Last weekend I spent one whole day installing the new cam plate, pump and the HD oil cooler. I double checked all o-rings and did the pump alignment according to the manual. As further evidence that I was sumping, after going for a test ride, the bike seemed to pull stronger than after having just did the cams.

So today with the cam plate, larger pump, and oil cooler I went on a good 150 mile ride. Ambient temps in the upper 80s/low 90s and my oil temp is in the 240-250s and my right thigh is getting fried.

With all these mods (larger oil pump and oil cooler) to combat the heat demon, do these temps sound right? I know I'm still in normal operating range, but if I hadn't done the cooler or the pump would my temps have been pushing 300? I've read threads about people saying with just an oil cooler they get temps around 220 or lower on a 100 degree day. What am I doing wrong? Or am I

Thanks for listening.

P.S. I'm running Syn3 if that helps.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if this applies to you, but to keep the EPA happy HD has been running their engines very lean. Lean running engines get a lot hotter.

I had a similar problem and solved it with an Xied mod. Relatively inexpensive, did it myself and loved the results.

Check it out here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ggestions.html

Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM
freebooter
Advanced
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been running the Power Commander V for a few years now with great results. I recently added the Auto-Tune module to it. My target AFRs from Fuel Moto have 13.8 in the cruise range. Should I try to richen it up a point or two?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a highly skilled mechanic, but I do like to tinker. I remember in the "old days" everyone ran rich mixtures. To me 13.8 is way too lean. But these fully adjustable power commander type options make it easy to change settings without realizing the unintended consequences. That in itself can be part of your heat problem.

14.6 is the standard reading for closed systems, especially cars. Seems to me that enriching your mixture has little risk to you. Worst case you burn some extra gas. Best case is you find the temps drop 50 degrees on your bike. For me the tuner route wasn't useful. I'm MUCH happier with the Xied solution - and it's only $100! Nothing to adjust after it's installed, and nothing to get out of adjustment. And for $100 not much to risk to try it out.

Good luck whatever you decide.