Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Oil Temp And Pressure Gauges To EG Standard

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Adding Oil Temp And Pressure Gauges To EG Standard

Hello All,

Been doing some searching this morning, but previous threads on the subject don't go all the way to completion. I want to add an oil pressure gauge and an oil temp. gauge to the fairing of my 2000 Electra Glide Standard in place of the panel blanks.

I used a paint can opener this morning to remove the plugs to see what connections are back there, and found on each side a 2 wire connector and a 3 wire connector. I'm guessing that the 2 wire is a light connection for each gauge. The left 3 wire connerctor has orange, black, and blue with black stripe wires....while the right connector has orange, black, and brown wires. I know one side is set up for an ambient temp gauge, but I'm not interested in that....would rather have the oil temp (or at least a Cylinder head temp).

Has anyone done this to their Standard, and do the existing sensors also drive the gauges as well as the warning lights? Is an oil temp install even possible or is it Cylinder head temp? I know they make a temp gauge on top of the dipstick, but those things are pricey. I'll put a WTB post in the "Wanted" section for black face gauges if this is a plug and play or at least a not-too-complicated mod.

Thanks All!
Frank

Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wish I could give you a better reply but here is my suggestion. I have installed the HD oil temp gauge recently and it is really simple. I would suggest that you go to the HD website, download the instructions for the install and compare the wiring on the instructions to what you have on yours, Im betting that it will be very easy for you. Im loving mine.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

Thanks Chief!

Those instructions answer a lot of my questions actually.

I may end up with an analog oil temp gauge in the dipstick, and it looks like HD (hundred dollar) has the kit to fill in the fairing gauges unless a member here has some that are take offs they want to sell.

Thanks again!
Frank

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Frank, you may be able to download the installation instructions for the oil pressure/air temp gauge kit HD sells, or just stop by a local HD parts counter and ask them to print out the instructions for the kit; just supply the p/n for the kit. IIRC correctly, the oil pressure guage separately is $50 which may be all you need to install it on your bike and avoid paying for an air temp guage you don't want and use the $$$ you save not buying the air temp gauge to buy the oil temp gauge you do want.

Carl

Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

Thanks Carl,

I downloaded the instructions for the kit with the oil pressure and the air temp gauges. Looks like I need a different sender with harness back to the connector in the right side cover, so after I bought those seperate items, I'd probably be close to the kit price with the air temp gauge. I'll check at the dealer. Have any thoughts on the analog oil temp gauge in the dipstick? I'd like to have one of those, especially with these 100+ temps we've had.

Thanks,
Frank

Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Just put some tweeters in those holes.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
FrankCaputo
Tourer

There's a thought! I like my tunes!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Frank, don't know a thing about the dipstick oil temp gauges; I use the HD oil temp and pressure gauges.

HD evidently changed the wiring of the oil pressure sending units so that models after yours (I don't recall the year of the change) make installing the oil pressure gauge a simple plug in--i.e. no wiring changes necessary since all of the wiring is already done and simple plug up the two connectors inside the fairing to the gauge.

Carl

Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 PM
jimharvey1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you buy the 2-gauge kit when it includes that foolish air temp gauge that you said you didn't want? (I have one I'll give you if you want one that bad! ) The oil pressure gauge retails for around $51.00 (and Ronnie's has them for 45.99). You'll also need a sending unit to screw into the case. They go for $33.00 (29.99). A wiring jumper can be ordered from HD. The Oil temp gauge and sending unit with wiring harness is $139.95 from HD. Install is pretty easy with the hardest part getting to the area on the back of the inner fairing to install them. The radio has to come out. I don't know if HD offers a kit for JUST the oil pressure gauge installation. May be worth asking the parts gut at the dealership. You can see how hard the install is going to be by reading the install instructions. It also lists part numbers.

Oil Pressure and Air Temp Gauge Kit Instructions:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J01875.pdf

Oil Temp Gauge Installation Instructions:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04790.pdf

Of course, you could always go with Dakota Digital gauges. They are REALLY nice, but a bit pricey.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat524.htm

Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Flyingdrp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Adding Oil Temp And Pressure Gauges To EG Standard