Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherohala Skyway

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherohala Skyway

With the last of the warm Indian summer days coming to a quick close. The wife and I visited Mt. Cheaha in Alabama on Saturday, great weather, wonderful wife, lots of other bikers doing the same thing, it was a good day. So today with the wife at work, I set my sights on something a little higher. Headed north on 575 towards Blue Ridge and my escape route to North Carolina, most people don’t realize that the North Carolina border is closer to Georgia than South Caroline from the North part of the state. Well up to Murphy and a slow ride to Andrews, numerous State boys enforcing the stupid speed of 55 mph on a four lane, sparsely populated it could be 65 easily. Quick stop at Cherokee County Cycles for a cup of coffee and a road report. Still haven’t run across too many other riders so off I head to Robbinsville, fill up the tank and hit 143 turn off around 1:30 pm, warm weather in the valley and the road is wet in a few places nothing to worry about, onward and upward I climb. For the few that haven’t ridden this wonderful road, it is indeed a treat, and will make you feel on top of the world, and humble even the strongest person. I know this isn’t the rocky mountains, but this is what we have here in the south. At the top the warm weather is replaced by 40 degree wind chilled air that will take your breath away. It was nice to get back down the road into Tennessee and the warm spring like temperatures we are having for one more day. The twists and turns of Hwy 68 make the afternoon fun, and a few stray dogs make it a lot more interesting, back thru Blue Ridge and homeward bound. Hmmm maybe tomorrow Clingman’s Dome or Mt. Mitchell.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:40 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Default RE: Cherohala Skyway

cold day at the top

[IMG]local://upfiles/21143/043198E9172344278EC6D7E41830BF79.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Top of the world, here in the south lol

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
THABULL
Road Master

The coldset ride I ever went on was to the top of Clingmans Dome. BRRRRR!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Turtleman, you are riding in a awesome area, need to hit it in the spring when everthing is green, will take your breath away.[sm=goodidea.gif]
Rode it twice last year and plan to do more of the same this coming year.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 PM
jward2331
Cruiser

The Skyway is even better than the Dragon, of course, when it comes to the view. I've been to Mt Cheaha also when I lived in Pensacola, Fl. Sounds like you had a great trip.

John

Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm from Louisiana and have ridden to that area frequently over the past 10 years. We discovered the Skyway just after it opened, probably around 1998, actually stumbling across it the first time by accident, as it wasn't on most maps. At the time there was a section in the back of the HOG atlas listing the top scenic highways in the country, and based on that alone we put it on our agenda. It was eerie, as we saw only three cars on the entire stretch of road (35 miles or so) between TN and NC, and the silence when we stopped was uncanny. It was as if the world had be stricken by a nuclear holocost and we were the only people remaining.

Today it is a well-traveled scenic highway, and bikes are numerous, but I'll never forget that first experience. The Skyway is on our agenda for every trip to the Smokies and it is always a pleasure.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:00 AM
01Ultra
Cruiser

Wasup there with my family in 2003: father, 2 uncles , older brother and my nephew. My father and 2 uncles rode from Florida, my nephew rode from Fort Worth , Texas. I rode up from Harleyvile, SC. We met at my brothers house in Knoxville andspent three days up there riding I will never forget it. It will probably be the first and last time we will all ride together in a group. My father is now 74 his bike was destroyed during a hurricane and one of my uncles is having heart problems and sold his bike.. My brother lives in Knoxville and rides that area all the time. I live in Harleyville and a friend and I have been know to wake up in the morning and ride to Maggie Valley just for the day and just for the ride. Be home in time for supper. We are planning to meet my uncle that has a Road Kingthis April to ride that area for a couple of days. I am looking forward to that. It is a great ride. It is fun to ride with family and friends.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:14 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain

A funny story about Clingmans Dome. A few years ago took my baby boy there, and as we were hiking to the top, he asked me why all these homeless people were hanging around the bathroom. What do you mean homeless people, where? LOL They were hikers on the AT, just stopping by to use the nice facilities, I will never forget the look on his face as I explained this to him and the laughs of the hikers that were near enough to overhear me.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Riding now, if it is not too cold, is different and often better because the leaves are off the trees and you can see lots of vistas you would miss when the trees are covered with leaves. Glad you enjoyed a safe ride. Rode the Cherohala a couple of times in '06 but both were east-west; really should get back out for the west-east views.

Quick Reply: Cherohala Skyway