Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp gauge

anyone have any photos of the oil temp gauge installed?
would like to see the face. my stealer doesnt stock them.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Suggestion - Don't buy it. I had one on my first bike and obsessed about it. I constantly looked at it. Every stop light I would look down to see what it was. Can you do anything about it?...no. If your bike gets really hot, you wont need a gauge to know it.

At some point, your oil is going to get very hot. Just run a quality synthetic and be happy not knowing how hot it really got. You will stress over it for no reason. No matter how hot it gets, it will also cool back off and everything will be fine. They are designed to handle the heat and they do it well.

I haven't bought one on the last two bikes and have been in bumper to bumper traffic in 100+ degree heat too many times to count. Heat would be burning my legs and the bike would run like crap. As soon as the traffic starts to move again it cools right off. My Road King has experienced this almost every day in the summer, today being one, and is still running fine after over 88,000 miles.

Save the obsession with your oil temp and the money. Also search for the oil temp gauge here on the forum, most posts I have seen say they don't last long before they fail.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have one, but have seen them. You can get them to match your stock gauges. It will look like it belongs.

mikebaby

Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

im a mechanic & like preventative maintenance, i have all the gauges on my super duty for when im pulling so i can monitor & adjust my driving as needed. i know i cant do anything for the street glide but would like to see the oil temps for my self. that is a major turn off that the gauges are failing after some time. i probably wouldnt change my riding if the gauge read 300* as long as the bike ran fine its just knowing how hoot its getting.
an older mechanic friend of mine always tells me "WHEN IT BRAKES YOU WILL KNOW WHAT TO FIX". just cause i have a gauge doesnt mean im going to worry about it it just means i will see how hot it is. thats all.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It will look just like your other gauges.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I put one on my 2008 Street Glide, but never again.
I'd buy and oil cooler first.
The backlighting use to be visible around the outer edge of the gauge too, if you are a perfectionist.
It was the most worthless $300 (installed) I have ever spent.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 07-10-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

they dont really say what temp they go up to.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by EdwardK
Suggestion - Don't buy it. I had one on my first bike and obsessed about it. I constantly looked at it. Every stop light I would look down to see what it was. Can you do anything about it?...no. If your bike gets really hot, you wont need a gauge to know it.

At some point, your oil is going to get very hot. Just run a quality synthetic and be happy not knowing how hot it really got. You will stress over it for no reason. No matter how hot it gets, it will also cool back off and everything will be fine. They are designed to handle the heat and they do it well.

I haven't bought one on the last two bikes and have been in bumper to bumper traffic in 100+ degree heat too many times to count. Heat would be burning my legs and the bike would run like crap. As soon as the traffic starts to move again it cools right off. My Road King has experienced this almost every day in the summer, today being one, and is still running fine after over 88,000 miles.

Save the obsession with your oil temp and the money. Also search for the oil temp gauge here on the forum, most posts I have seen say they don't last long before they fail.
I agree...The oil temp gauge drives me nuts! I look at it more than I do the speedo... I worry, shake my head while riding, the wife on back has come to figure out exactly what I am shacking my head at.. THE GAUGE, and the temp. If I hadn't spent the money and time to put it in, I'd take it out and sling it across the lake... Geezzzz....I never thought I would ever worrie about the bike as much as I do this 2012 FLHTC oil temp. I'm bitchen at the dealer, stopping every 45 min's letting it cool down. It just ruins my trips. If I still had the air temp gauge, I'd take the damn thing out and put the useless air temp back in. But it's no where to be found. A piece of duct tape is the next idea to cover it and out of sight.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer

Glad I checked in tonight, I have an oil gauge that has been on back order from the dealer for over 2 months, don't know what gives. After reading this I am going to tell them to keep it, I never thought about it but I too would be checking the damn thing all the time got an oil cooler can't do much else.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really?! I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one. Heck of a lot more interesting than ambient air temperature. Installed mine about a month ago when Harley finally offered it in "Titanium" to match my other gauges. The displayed range goes from 110 to 350 f.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by davessworks
The displayed range goes from 110 to 350 f.
cool thanks
ya my air temp thingy i dont think is right...its left most of the time

Quick Reply: oil temp gauge