Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of options for popping Propipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Out of options for popping Propipe

Just wanted to update on my situation with persistent popping from a V&H Propipe. I have had 3 Dyno runs from 3 different HD Dealers in the St Louis area and none have been able to help. The last one was from the Midwest's Guru of Dyno tuning and he wasn't able to help. My dilemma is, that most shifting from 1-2-3, or deceleration of throttle at around 2000-3500rpm's I get a loud bang, or Pop. Sometimes loud, sometimes not. I believe, and have been told by HD Tech's, it's the ejection of unburned fuel in the head pipes. This popping is especially present when the pipes are hot. Not that some decel popping is a bad thing but, this is more than the average bear. I've even had people i rode with say something about it. It sometimes sounds like a backfire. I have pretty much worn out my welcome with the dealer's as they tell me to live with it. I have talked to other Propipe owners and they tell me they don't have a problem at all...I guess I was thinking I could find what was causing it but, not so far. I spoke with a V&H Exhaust Tech and he thinks that my upgrades on this Glide "may" be too aggressive for the engine. I have a 2011 Streetglide with a 103, SE A/C, SEPST, and the Propipe. I thought these upgrades would be a benefit. Is this too much for a stock engine. Is a cam the next alternative. I will have torque cones installed Saturday to see if that makes any difference. Any ideas would be appreciated .

Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

check all the welds on the pipe for any signs of leakage...and what baffles are in the pipe??...I would not be surprised to find that the competition baffles would cause this problem....forcing cone might help...you could also put some sort of restrictor in the baffle, like a lollypop...

Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem on my Street Glide but thanks to some of the good people on this forum, I was able to go into my Power Commander map and add some fuel to the zero throttle positions in the RPM ranges that I was having the popping at and all but eliminated the problem. Don't know if the SEPST allows you to do that but I would sure find out.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sent you a PM.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Would you post you Dyno runs please.
(hard to believe that the three HD dealers cant get a stage I tuned)

If you have your stock exhaust (yes I know it a PITA) try it and see if your still having the problem. (Its a cheaper deal than paying the Dealer to troubleshoot it, ie: could be plugs / gap or wires, air leak in the exhaust system, tune (AFR too rich), Throttle position sensor, OX sensor, etc.)

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Tailgunner1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 cause of popping on decel is an ehaust leak. Check that all exhaust pipe union brackets are tight. Fresh air enters exhaust thru leak and detonates especially in hot pipe. Just a thought....Good luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

The Pro Pipe is prone to increased burble and in pipe back firing. I got rid of mine and the issues went away with the pipe. And I did not have any exhaust leaks!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, decel popping is not always leaks.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:33 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
I had the same problem on my Street Glide but thanks to some of the good people on this forum, I was able to go into my Power Commander map and add some fuel to the zero throttle positions in the RPM ranges that I was having the popping at and all but eliminated the problem. Don't know if the SEPST allows you to do that but I would sure find out.
That's what I was going to suggest....what RPM ranges did you add more fuel, usually there's 5% at 750-1250? I found that if I do not twist my throttle all the way down when I shift, there will be partial throttling occurring during the shift loading fuel which can cause too much fuel to be present (booom or good size pop!). Once I started conscientiously throttling down all the way the popping all but disappeared.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Hughey79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear you

I am having the exact same issue still to this day and I have eliminated leaks. Replaced gaskets. Intake. Still working on small map changes. I have the fuelmoto headpipe though. Been working with Jaimie still as well.
I dont know what else to do.

Quick Reply: Out of options for popping Propipe