Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter lever in the side of the tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Mikey V
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter lever in the side of the tranny

Anyone else encounter a loose fitting shift lever? It is the lever on the shift shaft of the gearbox; NOT the foot shift lever. Mine fell off at @10K miles, put it back on, but it will not stay tight on the shift shaft. I know it is a warranty part; but I dont want the bike down for a week while the stealer fumbles around , trying to find the part. I'll replace it myself, if I can find the part number.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

yes, I had the same problem on my 11 flhrc...it will be fixed under warrenty and only takes a few minutes...the dealer said they have to take off the inner/outer primary ..but they don't ..on the newer bikes the inner primary has a dent in the back to allow the shift arm to be removed with out taking the inner primary off ...

Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it gets loose like that, the bolt can't apply enough Tq to tighten the gap up enough for it to grip the splined shift shaft. I had to remove mine, place it in a vice and compress it enough to actually bend and close up the gap. I did it a little at a time and trial fit it on the bike each time until I could barely fit it on the splines. A little blue Loctite on the threads and a 1/2 drive ratchet and crank it down...hard. The bolt is Grade 8 so you're not likely to strip it.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:17 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,910 Likes on 8,429 Posts

Imagine that. They actually engineer stuff so they are easier to replace broken parts. Hmmmmm, (in Beaver Cleaver voice) Hey Wally, maybe they could actually engineer the part so it doesn't strip so easy.

The following users liked this post:
toyboxgang (03-02-2021)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I know yours is still under warranty, but this is a much better option. I replaced mine and it made a world of difference in the way the bike shifts. Plus it will never come loose.
http://betterlever.com/

Old 07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 Ultra
I know yours is still under warranty, but this is a much better option. I replaced mine and it made a world of difference in the way the bike shifts. Plus it will never come loose.
http://betterlever.com/
Now THAT looks like it means business! Too bad the MOCO doesn't care enough about its customers to put quality parts like that on its bikes.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

$190 are you serious! How about the rest of us who don't have a money tree in our backyards, surely there's a less expensive option......Damn

Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I got mine from this seller. Got it quick, he was helpful & gave me a snap ring that I needed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIFTER-PART...item53eda6f26d Less than 30.00 shipped, I ordered it Monday eve & got it Thursday.

Toby

Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 AM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep mine stripped out too. stealer tried to tighten it (that lasted two days) then had to remove primary to replace & when i picked up the bike said my clutch was going out. im like WTF whatever at 9,000 miles my clutch is not toast.
anyway my buddy had the shift lever on his wifes road king loosen up & looked into the BETTER LEVER but then someone said to change the bolt that pinches the lever, he did & it tightened up & has been running it for about 5,000 miles now.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Wv7o
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember posting in another thread for this same problem.

Replacing the shift arm is only half the problem usually, there is a chance that shaft that the arm attach's to (going into the transmission) has bad splines now.

Replacing the arm is only fixing half the problem, and setting your self up for a reoccurring problem later.

The dealer is willing to fix this under warranty just let them do there job.

Its funny how people complain that dealers don't take care of them but when they are willing to people refuse to be taken care of.

Yes I let the dealer take care of mine under warranty and they did the complete job.

Quick Reply: Shifter lever in the side of the tranny