Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
DocKile
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front end wobble

Trying to find out some more info the lower speed front end wobble on HD Touring. I have an 11 Ultra (just rolled 30K). When I am slow (under 35) especially in right hand corners, I get a bit of front end wobble. I talked to HD and they said it is normal. Not so sure about this. Anyone have any insight or info on correcting this?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:42 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id swear its either a balance issue or a cupped front tire.

I get it on my limited from time to time but its usually when I loaded down with gear for a rode trip.
I've have checked over and over and do not see anything our of the ordinary other than my front tire starting to show its mileage. Its at 12,365 and i noticed it at 8500 miles so until its worn to the red bar on the tire gauge I am just going to deal with it.

These bikes have so many different quirks it can drive you to serious drinking.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Just installed true track and posted how my shocks were misadjusted which they were. I reported it fixed! Today she wobbled in a 65 mph right hand bank. I give up.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:51 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Many things can cause or contribute to the wobble. Most often it is the steering head bearings out of adj or dry, or a front tire cupping or belt issue. That is where I would start.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Many things can cause or contribute to the wobble. Most often it is the steering head bearings out of adj or dry, or a front tire cupping or belt issue. That is where I would start.
Mine passes the fall away test just fine.
I personally greased the neck myself
Front tire is fairly new Dunlop American elite
The rear tire however is approaching worn out status. Got about 12 k on it now with center of tire getting thin while sides have plenty of tread.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
DocKile
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had several folks mention the steering head bearing. Front tire is good, just replaced American Elite. Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep digging. If I find something I'll be sure to post.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Deadmaninc6666
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, wobbling at speeds of 30-45mph. Torqued neck bearings to spec, problem gone!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:47 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I just completed my 10,000 service. I checked my tire pressures, fastners, front end fall away test. Everything looed good. Went for a ride and I noticed that my handle bars shook with only one hand holding when I hit a very small bump. So I held bar lightly and bumped the end of the bar to try to make it shake. I had shake. I'm thinking this sure is soon to have to torque the steering head bearings. A few days later this is still on my mind I hit the bar again and it doesn't do it as much. Here is what I'm thinking. The first time the temp was around 100 degrees outside and the second time it was around 93 degrees. This has me thinking, we have a cool front come through and I going somewhere the other night about a week later. I slow down to 35 mph hit the bars and I have no shake. I am believing that the road temp with tire temp has influence on bar shake. Is this possible?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
I am believing that the road temp with tire temp has influence on bar shake. Is this possible?
Well, metals do expand and contract with temperature swings, so I wouldn't discount your theory.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:50 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2012 Road Glide. The front end would wobble really bad at 40MPH adn as far as I am concerned was a serious hazard.

I tightened the steering head bearing and the wobble is completely GONE. The swing test for my bike is 1-1.5 swings and from the factory it was at 2.5-3. WAY OFF! It is now set at 1 swing and I am a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Front end wobble