Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:43 PM
nickel dime
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid oil change question

So I'm changing the oil myself for the first time. I've built a race car and have been serviceing all my cars for a hundred years, how hard can it fricken be to change the oil in a bike. Of course the oil filter wrench the dealer told me I needed to clear the Crank Position Sensor won't fit between the sensor and the filter. The sensor looks like it's about an 1/4 inch in front of the filter and sticks out past the outside diameter of the filter.

Will the filter actually unscrew past this sensor and how stupid and hazardous would it be to pull the crankshaft position sensor change the filter then reinstall the sensor?

Thanks

Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what wrench you have. Mine has thin walls, and about a 15 degree cut out. It works fine.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM
nickel dime
Cruiser

That sounds like the wrench I have. Very thin walled that slides onto the flats of the filter with a window in the side. It binds in the gap before the window gets to the sensor. I'll keep futzing with it.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

After messing with customizing a filter remover I was done with it and I ended just going to a K&N filter with a 17mm nut on it...its simple and quick.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

I use one of these, and have never had any issues.

Strap Wrench:

Attached Thumbnails Stupid oil change question-strap_wrench.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM
nickel dime
Cruiser

Ok, I got the filter off using a giant pair of Channel Locks. Now I've got 5000 miles to figure out a better way to do this. The K&N filter is a great idea and so is the strap wrench. I may go that route.

Thanks for the replies

Old 07-14-2012, 05:34 PM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I use this wrench on every vehicle I own, and haven't had any problems on the bike, other than spilling oil all over everything.

Attached Thumbnails Stupid oil change question-filter-wrench.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

People install the filters too tight too.

Now I've got pretty big hands, but my car, lawn tractor and bike filters can all be removed by hand. Follow the installation instructions and don't over crank it.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I use a rubber strap wrench as well. I don't want to be banging around in that area with a metal wrench or metal strap. The K&N nut on the end has proven to be a great idea.

Sure, you can remove the sensor, it won't hurt anything, but you really don't have to do that. The filter will be off the treads in time for you to work it around the sensor.

You didn't mention the damn mess that the oil makes when you unscrew the filter. Well, there are many techniques to try to contain that oil so it won't drip all over your voltage regulator and all of the wiring and hoses and frame members underneath the filter. Some people don't care about it, but I have always hated that oil getting on all of that stuff.

Most of the harley techs just let it spill all over the damn place when they charge folks out the *** to change their oil for them. So do better than others.

I've tried several tricks, and there are actually some commercial gizmos that may work pretty well. But I've settled on using a freezer bag, working the bag up on the filter with the top of the bag pressed up against the filter bracket. It's not 100% effective, but about 98% effective in keeping the oil off the other stuff. The oil filter just falls down in the bag, oil and all, you zip it up and properly dispose of it. The bag works well to keep the mess contained. Again, there are lots of ways to do this, so maybe try a few to see what works best for you.

BTW...Hand snug the filter, then tighten 1/4 turn more. Done. Don't use a wrench to tighten the filter.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LowC Joe, Like the freezer bag idea.

Quick Reply: Stupid oil change question