Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHT After-Market Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
smallsoldier
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb FLHT After-Market Audio Upgrade

Calling all FLHT Owners!

If anyone out there is considering upgrading the audio system on your FLHT, I would like to pass along a success story that might save you some $$$ and spare you some frustration.

I bought a 2007 FLHT (Electra Glide Standard) while I was deployed to Iraq on May 17th, 2011. When I came home for rest and recuperation leave for 15 days I picked up the bike from Boswell's Harley-Davidson in Nashville, TN. The bike had an after-market SONY marine-grade head unit half-assed installed in the fairing with a pair of PYLE 5.25" 2 way speakers. I left this setup alone while I was on leave so I could concentrate on riding as much as possible with my wife. After my deployment ended and I came home to stay in October 2011, it was time for a change.

After doing some searching and asking some questions I went with a "Retro Radio" kit from a company that many of you are probably already familiar with...Biketronics...but I didn't stop there! I purchased a pair of Rockford Fosgate 5.25" 3-way speakers and installed them in the fairing along with the new Sony head unit that I got from Biketronics. The Biketronics kit came with all the necessary mounting hardware, wiring harness pigtail, and most importantly...the AMAZING retro-radio interface module that plugged-in to the factory audio wiring harness in the fairing. The interface module allowed me to use the OEM thumb controls that came with the bike, and...it was pre-programmed for auto-volume which is great! The volume increases and decreases automatically with your speed.

The Sony head unit has the ability for a 2 or 4 speaker configuration and an option to add a subwoofer. The power output is about 15 watts continuous with a peak power output of 54 watts. This is enough to power the Rockford Fosgate speakers I installed, but once you are out on the road at speed...well...it's not the best audio experience.

Then I found ALPINE!

Alpine has a new power amp that is compact and powerful...perfect for any application on your touring model Harley. The amp I'm talking about is the Alpine KTP-445U. You can look at the whole spec sheet on the Alpine web site http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445u/, but he basics are this: 45W X 4 @ 4 ohms or 90W X 2 @ 4 ohms. The Rockford Fosgate speakers I installed are rated at 50-130 Watts with a peak rating of 150 watts. The combination of the head unit, power amp, and speakers is perfect! Now...while haulin' *** down the interstate at 75 mph, the tunes are crystal clear with NO distortion. However, this is with the EQ set FLAT as a pancake. The additional power provided by the Alpine amp allows the speaker's voice coils to operate much more efficiently which results in crystal clear highs and mids with a mild bass response. The music is full, but heavy bass is not possible. 5.25" speakers are not meant to sound like 6X9's or 10" subs...so if you are looking for bass...this is not the setup for you. But, if you are jammin' to Skynyrd or CCR at 80 mph...you'll be impressed.

Try it...the whole upgrade cost me at total of $465.00. The little Alpine amp mounted right on top of the head unit under the outer fairing and puts off very little heat. This amp is so small you could hide it in your tour pack or saddle bags with ease if you didn't want to put it in the fairing.

Ride safe and happy tinkering!

Mike Appleby
Radcliff, KY

The following users liked this post:
shavedyeti (08-30-2016)
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your service Sir !!