Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'12 Street Glide: Noisy Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 07:14 AM
John Bakker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 Street Glide: Noisy Brakes

My '12 SG with about 5000 miles on it has developed front brake noises. I've been to the dealer about this clank noise I get upon initial application of the brake (doesn't do it all of the time, but often enough to be bothersome). It is a metallic kind of clank that to me almost sounds like the pads are hitting against the rotor, although this may not be what's happening. They looked at the brakes and could find nothing wrong.
As well, both my front and rear brakes are starting to squeak. I can make this go away by some hard applications of the brakes, but it only lasts for awhile and then the squeak is back.
Has anyone else experienced the above and if so come up with any solutions? Thanks in advance for your input.
John

Old 07-21-2012, 07:16 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine are a little squeaky too.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 AM
02RKC
Advanced
Default Re: Squeaky Brakes

The front brake is fine... rear brake squeaks, the service guy cleaned them at the 1000 mile service, again at about 3500 miles; they're starting to squeak again at cose to 5000. The service guy says it a build up of brake dust... may have to look at different pads at the 5000 mile service. I'm watching this thread for more on squeaky bakes.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The brake pads 'float' in the calipers, i.e., there's some room between them and the disc so the wheels will turn freely and the brakes won't get hot. When you apply the brakes, this 'free space' gets taken up quickly by the motion of the pistons, and the pads 'clank' against the discs. In certain situations, it's worse than others. E.g., if you quickly apply the brakes, then let off quickly. At least, this is what happens with my bike.

There are some 'anti-rattle' springs in the calipers that are supposed to hold the pads loosely in place (by applying pressure to the edges of the pads) and keep the pads from 'rattling' around loose in the calipers. Mine don't work all the time. Sounds like yours might be similar...

The squeal could just be dust and crap on the discs. Try cleaning them with brake cleaner and a cloth to see if that stops it for a while. You could try different pads, too (with a different formulation). If it's a real loud squeal, or a 'howl', it could be something else. There are several issues that might cause a loud sound from the brakes, the pads themselves (backing), the orientation of the two front discs (if you get them swapped, left for right and vice versa), and no doubt other things of which I'm blissfully ignorant...

Alan

Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Does your FLHX have ABS?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rear brakes starting squeaking at about the 1k mile mark. Today I am replacing them with a set of Lyndal Z-pads to see if it fixes them. I currently have 2700 miles on the bike and my ears are killing me.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine sound like they are scrapping a little but that is just because they are new i would think dealer told me its nothing to worrie about i only hear it with engine off and im backing out of garage. my old rice burner did the same thing so i just dont worrie about it personally

Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes front and back squeak as well. Its starting to annoy me too.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser

Brake squeal is a high frequency vibration between the pad, rotor, and caliper piston. Eliminate the squeal by changing the frequency. Had the same issue after less than 500 miles on my FLHX. I used Permatex® Disc Brake Quiet on the pads, and Permatex® Ceramic Extreme brake parts lubricant on all the hardware and it eliminated the squeal by 90%.

The MoCo has there own version of both products. Probably made by Permatex® if I had to guess. Have a buddy that didn't want to mess with it and took his 2012 FLTRX back to the dealer for the job. It was covered under warranty.

P.S. No, I don't work for Illinois Tool Works, Inc.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

2nd recent thread about squeeky brakes, oddly mine are quiet, 2nd set of HD pads, probably start tomorrow.

Quick Reply: '12 Street Glide: Noisy Brakes