Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle By Wire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This just happened to me today. Fortunately, I was just leaving the Dealer at the time. Of course, by the time the tech cam out to look at it, the computer had reset so it worked fine. I am about to leave on a three week trip, so I told him to go ahead and change the connector pins anyway. The new pins are -11, meaning that the design was changed in 2011 due to this problem. Hopefully, this will fix the problem. btw: I have 65,000 miles on my '08 Road Glide.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM
bartallica2006
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TBW is garbage. I installed 16" apes on an 09 RoadKing the other day, and there is a lag in throttle response. The customer is a good friend of mine and he has dropped the bike three times, all right after he bought it. He couldnt figure out why he kept dropping it. Well, when I went pick the bike up from his house and take it to my shop, I almost dropped it when I took off. The process of taking off on a motorcycle is second nature to many of us. One smooth, fluid motion. Well, that delay in throttle response isnt very fluid at all. Im sure I looked like a beginner, first time riding. Ill stick with the time tested cable operated throttle. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I found an article a few days back (nope, I forget where on the web), that read that "limp mode" is a design feature/flaw with the TBW. It said that the unit is constantly checking itself (200 times a sec) and if there is an issue, it will drop to bike to the limp mode.

It seems that faulty connectors might cause the original error but when my RK started to go limp once a day, I had the throttle replaced- $90 part and 2 hours of labor. So far so good.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:59 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

What I don't get is that with all the cars on the road nowadays with TBW systems, it would seem that the technology is mature enough to be somewhat reliable. Why can't the MOCO design a system that just works?

Naturally, the same could be said about their current camshaft drive systems and crankshafts too, I guess...

Old 08-11-2012, 01:42 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
So, I wonder if somebody bought a new bike and immediately went through it & put high- end dielectric grease in all of the connectors they could get to, would that be likely to prevent most of these electrical connector failures/issues that I'm constantly reading about?
That's what I did. If I take a connector loose, I run my finger over it containing Di-electric grease. I check my TB connector wiring all the time, I dont like the exposed wires on the connector just before it goes into the TB (What's up with that?).
They sell kits for just about everything imaginable, why don't they have TBW to cable conversion kits?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
That's what I did. If I take a connector loose, I run my finger over it containing Di-electric grease. I check my TB connector wiring all the time, I dont like the exposed wires on the connector just before it goes into the TB (What's up with that?).
They sell kits for just about everything imaginable, why don't they have TBW to cable conversion kits?
What exactly do you check it for? Electricity is a wonderful thing but last I checked it was mostly invisible.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
What exactly do you check it for? Electricity is a wonderful thing but last I checked it was mostly invisible.
LOL..........thanks for the laugh
Mine has been trouble free, but I purchased a can of CRC Die-Electric grease when I put the new led's in. I guess its time to clean and grease the tbw plug

Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

I haven't had any trouble with the connections at the throttle actuator motor but I did get the limp home mode repeatedly when my ECM connection was bad. A nuisance but it always started worked after a restart and got me home.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:30 PM
flstc26385
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that gold connectors will solve the problem, but I can't locate them. Does anyone have a source or part number?

The following users liked this post:
Dew Me (10-02-2021)
Old 11-21-2016, 04:44 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

TBW is crapadoola. Unreliable, and there is that "lag". (Although the "lag" isn't there on TBW Softails)
Gimme cables any day.

Quick Reply: Throttle By Wire Problem