Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road Glide Owners?

I am seriously considering trading for a Road Glide Ultra when the 13s come out. I have never ridden one but have a test ride scheduled for next weekend. I was wondering if you folks who ride them could give me some pros and cons about them.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ride on and make your own decision.

IMO
1. best handling and most stable HD made in windy conditions due to the frame mounted fairing
2. slow speed (parking lot) handling is very good again because the fairing is on the frame not adding weight to the handlebars/fors
3. harder to get a windshield that works well for some riders due to the fairing being farther away
3. even harder to get a windshield that works for passenger and still looks good (not like a big sail)
4. buffeting from below the fairing for some riders, can be cured with lowers but not everyone wants lowers
5. Some people say their "FUGLY"

For me its probably the model of HD that Ill stay with until I stop riding

Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfFast
I was wondering if you folks who ride them could give me some pros and cons about them.

Pros : Road Glides rock !

Cons : uh, ........... uhh .................... gimmie a minute here ....... uhh .... ............. lemme get back to ya on that, ok ?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Troopfire
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 07 RG for 3 years. I liked it. It handled well and out on the road the shark nose sliced through the air and gave me great gas mileage. However, I could never satisfactorily solve the buffeting issue except for a very tall, very ugly windshield that I was forced to look through. My wife complained about the buffeting also. The RG also stretched me out a little more then I liked. I love my EG it fits me perfect and I have never had an issue with buffeting. Ride one before you buy it. Take it out on the road and not just for a short ride around town. It may work well for you. For me the EG is perfect.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RGU Is the best bike I've owned. I've had all the tour bikes HD makes and the RGU gives me the ride and comfort I was looking for. Did 1400 miles in 2 1/2 days and not once was a uncomfortable.

Good luck with your choice.

Ride safe.

T

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM
BcDog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1 on this

IMO
1. best handling and most stable HD made in windy conditions due to the frame mounted fairing
2. slow speed (parking lot) handling is very good again because the fairing is on the frame not adding weight to the handlebars/fors
3. harder to get a windshield that works well for some riders due to the fairing being farther away
3. even harder to get a windshield that works for passenger and still looks good (not like a big sail)
4. buffeting from below the fairing for some riders, can be cured with lowers but not everyone wants lowers

Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock 103" is a DOG.

Cam & tune.... then you've got the ultimate Harley touring bike.

Bars suck (IMHO) but you may love 'em.

Beav

Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I owned an '04 Road King Custom and a '10 Street Glide.

I've rented a new Road Glide Ultra and Road Glide Custom. I'll be getting the Custom because I prefer the overall package and would hardly ever use a Tour Pak.

That said, the RGU is the most unique bike I have EVER ridden. Why? Because there's so little wind that I didn't need ear plugs, even at 80mph. I have NEVER ridden a bike at over 45-50 that didn't make my ears hurt so bad I had to put in plugs. Plus it's comfortable. Great overall bike, but I'm not mentally old enough to join the "Ultra" crowd.

The RG custom still has far better wind management than my Street Glide ever did. I fought the SG for three years and finally ditched it. Looked great, but the batwing fairing sucked.

Just a little taller shield than the toenail on the Custom and I'm good.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,838 Likes on 8,407 Posts

Since I bought my RG is 06, I haven't even considered owning another model. I have the quick detach tour pac and use it only for extended road trips. Other than that, I can fit all the stuff I need in the saddle bags and on the rear fender.
It's a comfortable bike and I did an Iron Butt ride on it a couple years ago. Made that an easy achievement.
Customize it to reflect your personality or style of bike. Definitely upgrade the motor to wake it up. I have a 107 in mine with S&S 585GEZ cams, head work and Reinhart true duals. Road Glides only perform best with over 120HP.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:32 AM
AlphaInfinity
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 on this. I test rode the Street Glide and owned a Road King before I purchased my Road Glide custom.

Originally Posted by BcDog
+ 1 on this

IMO

Quick Reply: Road Glide Owners?