Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of noise when starting hot

Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lots of noise when starting hot

I had to change my starter when the bike was around 25K miles. Now at 52K miles I think
it might be time again. Maybe these things are only good for 25 K miles.

Anyways, here is my issue now. When the bike is hot and try to restart the starter grinds
and there is lots of nasty noises. It usually starts on the second try but on that first one it makes some nasty noises. But this does not happen whne bike is cold. I didnot have this problem before. Could this also be compensator related . This si an 08 Ultra.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually a bad comp is accompanied by a loud 'banging' sound on startup. This is caused by the comp spring becoming weak and allowing the comp to bottom out when starting the bike. Does yours do this?

Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

No it does not do that, not loud mechanical BANG, just lots of grinding and
screaching sounds. Only when hot

Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

c50plus,
I feel your pain. 18.500 miles on my 08 CVO Roadking. Starter grinding so bad and frequent, it is being replaced (on my dime by the way) The bike has actually made a grinding sound at start up since it was almost new. Kept being told that was somewhat normal on the 110"s Hmmmm so I guess that replacing the starter at 18.500 miles is somewhat normal too. Whoda thunk?
Funny the dealership had none in stock. They had to locate it from another dealership, I guess there has been a demand for Touring starters, and the chrome ones are back ordered until who knows when.
Are these new starter's any better than the original one? Guess I will soon find out.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 PM
badger401
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My O8 Ultra does the same thing, been told it's "normal" but it sure don't sound normal. Scares the crap out of everyone around me when it does it.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c50plus
No it does not do that, not loud mechanical BANG, just lots of grinding and
screaching sounds. Only when hot
I just had a problem with what I thought was the starter on My 08 UC. Starter would make the same noises that You describe. Turned out to be a bad battery, believe it or not. It was the orginal battery with 46K on the bike. The starter was actually engaging and disengaging while trying to start the bike when hot. It made a hell of a noise. Had the battery load tested, and it was'nt putting out enough amps to keep the starter engaging properly. Bottom line, replaced battery a week ago and no more noise.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
I just had a problem with what I thought was the starter on My 08 UC. Starter would make the same noises that You describe. Turned out to be a bad battery, believe it or not. It was the orginal battery with 46K on the bike. The starter was actually engaging and disengaging while trying to start the bike when hot. It made a hell of a noise. Had the battery load tested, and it was'nt putting out enough amps to keep the starter engaging properly. Bottom line, replaced battery a week ago and no more noise.
Now that's good to know!!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
cmancini26
Tourer

I had (have) the same problem 07 fxd I asked a tech about it he said even if in neutral pull clutch in hadn't done it since

Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Just been experiencing this very same problem and was figuring battery. Gonna have to get one soon.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:58 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

SE Compensator solved all my starting issues. Kickback, whining, any noise is all gone. Bike starts like a dream everytime, all the time, with one quick push of the starter button. Easy job to do by yourself. Great writeup on this forum about it. You can try everything else but I would start there along with a new battery. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of noise when starting hot