Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 flhx ignition switch

Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2007 flhx ignition switch

Today after locking my ignition in the "fork lock" position I spent 15 minutes trying to get the key to work. I finally got it to turn. Of course being male and stupid I locked it again and guess what? IT GOT STUCK AGAIN JUST LIKE I KNEW IT WOULD. I BELIEVE I EVEN SAID "THIS IS STUPID, ITS GOING TO GET STUCK AGAIN".

So I guess a tumbler let loose inside. I have the service manual and took the ignition off and can't really see anything obvious. I don't want to have this issue again so I should probably replace the keyed portion of the ignition switch.

I search the forum a bit and did not really find the answer to my question.

Do I have to use a HD OEM switch or are others using say a J&P switch for half the cost of the HD switch.

Anyway, if you have ever replaced your switch what did you use. I have the instal down.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:59 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the switch off... look down the tube and you will be able to line the tumblers up with a flat bladed screwdriver.. works every time for me .

Replacing the entire switch? I would go HD.

Not really needed to buy the HD ignition tool or any other .. save the $$ for something else

Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Skip
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 2001 FLHT 2 different times. Once, I pulled the ignition switch and cleaned/lubed the moving parts, that worked. The second time, it was resolved by moving the handlebars [wiggled them side to side], then worked.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
mcso
Tourer
Default .

I was thinking of taking it to a lock smith and see if he could simply fix it. A barrel key lock and tumblers should be the same regardless of application. I'll report back if locksmith is the fix.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

so it is the lock which is sticking- and NOT the switch/ fork lock mechanism ?

sometimes grit can get in the keyhole and jam it up ( road kings have trouble with that here in Phoenix)

i'd invert it and get it in some soapy water and try to wash any grit out of it.

after drying, some graphite powder for lube.

mike

Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM
mcso
Tourer
Default /

yes it is the barrel lock itself. I took the ignition switch off and the key gets jammed up. I'm thinking a tumbler is buggered up or a tumbler spring broke/bent. I washed it out with wd-40. I did get some rusty wd-40 out of the lock, not alot but what I would expect. Still not working properly. If i aggressively jiggle it up and down or slap it a number of times it'll let loose and allow the key to turn as normal thus why I think its a tumbler. we shall see.