Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon Cusion Grip and poor fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avon Cusion Grip and poor fitment

I just installed my new set of Khrome Werks "Stretched" Hertitage Bars to my RGU. BTW great bars and just that extra pullback and height needed over the HD Heritage "Style" Bars.

I purchased a set of Avon cusion grips and they just do not fit the bars correctly. The throtle side went on great but would hang up when twisting it. Not loose didnt seem overly tight when I put it on the bar. Even without the controls mounted the grip would hand up and not turn back. (Put my stock grips back on and NO issues at all)

As for the clutch side OMG way to tight. Tried to lube the bar and it still would not go on the bar.

I have read about the grips being sloppy but anyone have an issue like this?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
kicnit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really odd. I just had the same issues, but got my clutch side on no problem. Throttle i couldn't even spin without forcing it. I didn't even button everything up, because it was more of a danger factor. I had just installed black powder coated bars too. Even tried sanding them down a bit under the grips on the throttle side. No luck. I cant even return them because there's glue all over the clutch side.

cheers,
kyle

Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain

I had thought maybe the new bars however my stock grips went right on them and worked like a charm.

I am hoping this is just a manufacturing issue and I just Emailed Phat Performance where I purchased them to see if they can send out another set and take this set back.

I really like the feel of the Avon Cushion Grips. Much better feel then the HD Get A Grips or even the Kury ISO grips.

We shall see.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed the avon custion grips a month ago on my street glide. Throttle side works great and clutch side was tight but got it on, with glue. I ran the kury iso's on my last 2 bikes and i like them better. The iso grips have smooth rubber custions where as the avon have a "ribbed for her pleasure" type rubber custions. Personally i like the smooth custions. One plus is i like the look of the avon grips better.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Installed the Avon grips on my SG last year, had no issues what so ever. I have seen a few posting of guys having the same issue you are, looks like they might have put out a bad batch of grips. I would contact Avon directly for a resolution.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 AM
ctmedic
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I installed the avon custion grips a month ago on my street glide. Throttle side works great and clutch side was tight but got it on, with glue. I ran the kury iso's on my last 2 bikes and i like them better. The iso grips have smooth rubber custions where as the avon have a "ribbed for her pleasure" type rubber custions. Personally i like the smooth custions. One plus is i like the look of the avon grips better.

The iso grips have smooth rubber custions where as the avon have a "ribbed for her pleasure" type rubber custions.

Avon also makes the "Velvet Cushion" style with smooth rubber grips. However the "ribbed" is what made me interested. I tried the HD "Get-A-Grip" and they were ribbed but HARD as a rock. Almost vulcanized. Hell even the stock grips were softer then the others.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM
kicnit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ctmedic
I had thought maybe the new bars however my stock grips went right on them and worked like a charm.

I am hoping this is just a manufacturing issue and I just Emailed Phat Performance where I purchased them to see if they can send out another set and take this set back.

I really like the feel of the Avon Cushion Grips. Much better feel then the HD Get A Grips or even the Kury ISO grips.

We shall see.
I agree too. I was looking forward to trying them. I just emailed AVON this morning. I will update once I hear back. Unfortunately I may be S.O.L., because I basically destroyed one of the trim rings trying to file my bars a bit by accident. I was honest about it, but lets see what they say!

cheers,
kyle

Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by kicnit
I agree too. I was looking forward to trying them. I just emailed AVON this morning. I will update once I hear back. Unfortunately I may be S.O.L., because I basically destroyed one of the trim rings trying to file my bars a bit by accident. I was honest about it, but lets see what they say!

cheers,
kyle
Which one did ya wreck? I'd buy a left side one from ya. (Mine is wearing badly but the right side is OK).

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

My prior grips were Avons and they fit good. I found customer service first rate when they sent me new grip tape 2x with bar swaps.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
kicnit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stro1965
Which one did ya wreck? I'd buy a left side one from ya. (Mine is wearing badly but the right side is OK).
Let me see how this plays out. Looks like they are willing to send a new one. However I'm waiting to see If they will send a new one first or what. I feel like this might be a known issue for them.

cheers,
kyle

This is what my response from AVON was:
Hi Kyle,

When you say sticky are you talking about the throttle sticking when you turn the grip or are you saying that the material is sticky? Just want to make sure what you are talking about. If you are saying the throttle is sticking open and not moving properly you can send that grip back to us for a replacment.

Thanks!
Debbie

Quick Reply: Avon Cusion Grip and poor fitment