Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storz Performance fork install

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
jimbullitt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Storz Performance fork install

I have always admired this company's products, and used to dream that I would, one day-be able to afford, and install one of these beauties, on my '88 FXR.. Has anyone with an FL motorcycle, done a complete front fork replacement-using this fork? They also indicate that you need to 'call for price'.. Anyone know the cost? Thanks, in advance.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbullitt
I have always admired this company's products, and used to dream that I would, one day-be able to afford, and install one of these beauties, on my '88 FXR.. Has anyone with an FL motorcycle, done a complete front fork replacement-using this fork? They also indicate that you need to 'call for price'.. Anyone know the cost? Thanks, in advance.
Steve Storz has some really top notch inverted forks in his catalog. That being said, I didn't know that he had anything that would work on a FL. Most of his stuff is geared towards, Sportys, Dynas, and FXRs.

I'm guessing that after you buy the forks and new triple tree set up, you're going to be looking at a good $3000-3500. You should really call them.

While the Storz-Ceriani forks are very nice, I'm gonna hold out for Howard over at Motorcycle Metal for a pair of Ohlins cartridge inserts for my bagger. Hopefully it won't be too cost prohibitive.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Steve Storz has some really top notch inverted forks in his catalog. That being said, I didn't know that he had anything that would work on a FL. Most of his stuff is geared towards, Sportys, Dynas, and FXRs.

I'm guessing that after you buy the forks and new triple tree set up, you're going to be looking at a good $3000-3500. You should really call them.

While the Storz-Ceriani forks are very nice, I'm gonna hold out for Howard over at Motorcycle Metal for a pair of Ohlins cartridge inserts for my bagger. Hopefully it won't be too cost prohibitive.
We have been working on the top triple tree as the bottom one is done. Made of a strong stainless called 14PH, very expensive to buy the ingots. This conversion will be available in 49mm conventional forks and inverted forks. This option is nothing like the aforementioned product. There is a big difference between what is inside of a fork and how well it works. In some cases, an inverted fork is not the best option, especially when it comes to a Bagger with the 6.9" of trail & huge rake (26º frame & 4º[2006~Current] & 4.5º [1986~2008]. The bike is putting far more weight on the fork tubes and the bushings wear out on one side
  • Top bushing called the slider bushing it wears on the blue/bottom side because the weight of the bike on the tire is pushing the fork tube downwards, putting pressure on the bottom side of the slider bushing.
  • Bottom guide bushing is worn on the top/Blue side because the tire is pushing it up to the top of the slider.
  • Try doing this with a pencil and your other hand. Push the bottom of the pencil up and watch how it works.
*see illustration below.

By adding a second (double row) of slider bushings can have a desired result. This would require the machining of a longer cavity for the top slider bushing. This is how a conventional Ohlins fork ($4,500), usually not sold in this country, is made to work.

I have been working on many new things including never before offered suspension components including and not only the FLH 49mm front suspension system. There will be much more to come. It is what is inside and how well something works, do not get dazzled at glossy pictures and the promises that it is quality. In place, go to the track and see what technology really works. When the checkered flag comes down, there is no excuses. What works on the track will work on the street, only the values are changed (ie: valving, piston design, and spring choice).

Below is the original "first out" bottom triple tree which was the hardest and most expensive to make. It can not be made from Billet Aluminum because of the bottom thickness (3/8") because if that distance is not maintained, you would reduce stroke to prevent the fender to crash into the bottom of the triple tree due to the necessity of at least 1 1/2" of billet aluminum needed.

Top of the bottom triple tree

Bottom of the bottom triple tree

• The fork tubes are 49mm for increased rigidity from deflection made only by us and not HD.
  • The dampening is a cartridge system that offers seperate external spring pre-load, compression and rebound adjustment.
  • The above bottom triple tree only cost $10,600 to develop minus making the first triple tree for those do-it-yourself members.

Last edited by FastHarley; 08-11-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 AM
jimbullitt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHarley
We have been working on the top triple tree as the bottom one is done. Made of a strong stainless called 14PH, very expensive to buy the ingots. This conversion will be available in 49mm conventional forks and inverted forks. This option is nothing like the aforementioned product. There is a big difference between what is inside of a fork and how well it works. In some cases, an inverted fork is not the best option, especially when it comes to a Bagger with the 6.9" of trail & huge rake (26º frame & 4º[2006~Current] & 4.5º [1986~2008]. The bike is putting far more weight on the fork tubes and the bushings wear out on one side
  • Top bushing called the slider bushing it wears on the blue/bottom side because the weight of the bike on the tire is pushing the fork tube downwards, putting pressure on the bottom side of the slider bushing.
  • Bottom guide bushing is worn on the top/Blue side because the tire is pushing it up to the top of the slider.
  • Try doing this with a pencil and your other hand. Push the bottom of the pencil up and watch how it works.
*see illustration below.

By adding a second (double row) of slider bushings can have a desired result. This would require the machining of a longer cavity for the top slider bushing. This is how a conventional Ohlins fork ($4,500), usually not sold in this country, is made to work.

I have been working on many new things including never before offered suspension components including and not only the FLH 49mm front suspension system. There will be much more to come. It is what is inside and how well something works, do not get dazzled at glossy pictures and the promises that it is quality. In place, go to the track and see what technology really works. When the checkered flag comes down, there is no excuses. What works on the track will work on the street, only the values are changed (ie: valving, piston design, and spring choice).

Below is the original "first out" bottom triple tree which was the hardest and most expensive to make. It can not be made from Billet Aluminum because of the bottom thickness (3/8") because if that distance is not maintained, you would reduce stroke to prevent the fender to crash into the bottom of the triple tree due to the necessity of at least 1 1/2" of billet aluminum needed.

Top of the bottom triple tree

Bottom of the bottom triple tree

• The fork tubes are 49mm for increased rigidity from deflection made only by us and not HD.
  • The dampening is a cartridge system that offers seperate external spring pre-load, compression and rebound adjustment.
  • The above bottom triple tree only cost $10,600 to develop minus making the first triple tree for those do-it-yourself members.
Pretty, heady stuff here, Howard. I'm looking forward to that phone conversation-later in the week!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Storz would work out at about $2500 but I am not sure it will fit the touring models, it would be good to see what else is offered, Howard, you need to get your website sorted out, it's terrible and you offer some great products so put a little into your site.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:16 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
The Storz would work out at about $2500 but I am not sure it will fit the touring models, it would be good to see what else is offered, Howard, you need to get your website sorted out, it's terrible and you offer some great products so put a little into your site.
I supose that if a person can not understand my web site and want splashy crap in place of content and service, than I would suggest I am not worthy of consideration. I am truly sorry but we are about real performance, one that you can not find anywhere else. I guess I am too busy to do pleasing web sites for the Gucci crowd.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

I supose that if a person can not understand my web site and want splashy crap in place of content and service, than I would suggest I am not worthy of consideration. I am truly sorry but we are about real performance, one that you can not find anywhere else. I guess I am too busy to do pleasing web sites for the Gucci crowd.
Sad little man. I take it back, your products are likely as pitiful as the person offering them, half the links on your crappy site go nowhere, if that is an indication of your workmanship then I will give it a miss.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

We have been working on the top triple tree as the bottom one is done. Made of a strong stainless called 14PH, very expensive to buy the ingots. This conversion will be available in 49mm conventional forks and inverted forks. This option is nothing like the aforementioned product.
Very cool, thanks for the update Howard. Any idea of what you will be charging for this setup? Will I have to sell my guitar collection?

Old 08-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
your products are likely as pitiful as the person offering them,
You'd be dead wrong there Pondskipper. There's nothing pitiful about the product, nor about the personal customer service that Howard provides. You're getting custom built Ohlins made for you, with the most unheard of customer service I've ever experienced.

In the motorcycle racing world, the reputation of Ohlins shocks speaks for themselves. It would also be pretty tough for you to find someone with Howard's technical knowledge of motorcycle suspensions that will actually talk to you on the phone, and answer any question you might have. I mean, the guy was on the phone with me for an hour explaining the nomenclature of the shocks, and actually stayed on the phone with me while I installed them. Who does that?

While Howard's website might not be the prettiest or user friendly one on the internet, it gets the job done. I was able to extract all the information I needed, and order my shocks without any problem. When I called the number to order my shocks, I actually talked to Howard…not some order processor at a call center that doesn't know **** from shinola.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
You'd be dead wrong there Pondskipper. There's nothing pitiful about the product, nor about the personal customer service that Howard provides. You're getting custom built Ohlins made for you, with the most unheard of customer service I've ever experienced.

In the motorcycle racing world, the reputation of Ohlins shocks speaks for themselves. It would also be pretty tough for you to find someone with Howard's technical knowledge of motorcycle suspensions that will actually talk to you on the phone, and answer any question you might have. I mean, the guy was on the phone with me for an hour explaining the nomenclature of the shocks, and actually stayed on the phone with me while I installed them. Who does that?

While Howard's website might not be the prettiest or user friendly one on the internet, it gets the job done. I was able to extract all the information I needed, and order my shocks without any problem. When I called the number to order my shocks, I actually talked to Howard…not some order processor at a call center that doesn't know **** from shinola.
Yet he cannot take the slightest bit of constructive criticism, I even said he did great products but he decided to act like a sad little keyboard warrior, I was seriously considering some of his Ohlins shocks right up until that little outburst and was genuinely impressed that he would say that USD forks may not be the best solution even though he offers them himself. Then he spoils my opinion of him by acting like 5 year old being told be cannot go to the park. His website is rubbish, I know it, you know it, he knows it, yes you can find everything after clicking a few dead links until you find the right one, a nice little site wouldn't do him any harm at all, but he is to busy for that or to be civil it seems. Shame.