Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Road Master
Default gps...

Can someone point me to threads regarding what GPS units people use? The search function keeps pulling up any thread that says GPS, and it's a lot to browse through.

If it helps, I am browsing for a non-motorcycle GPS with LMT. I'm not worried about rain (can put it in a sandwich bag or put it away). The Zumo series stuff is nice, but only one comes with LM, and they are marked up significantly over typical auto GPS units. I plan on using it on the bike and in the car.

I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Take a look at my GPS setup: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...gps-setup.html

This is a *waterproof* GPS for $229.

Shopping list for this setup is here: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/9830086-post4.html

Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Rider

Being a cheapskate, I found the Nuvi 50 LM on sale for $109. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive units but serves my purpose. Isn't waterproof, but I keep a ziplock bag for that purpose, or just unsnap it and put it in my pocket.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
One Of The Regulars

I did some research and decided to troll the for sale section and buy a Zumo 665 (used).

My decision was based on the following:
1. The GPS was waterproof.
2. It has weather alert.
3. Has built in XM.
4. Can withstand the vibrations of being on a bike.

Just my 0.02.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Hang Around

If you are willing to spend $20k on a bike, why skimp on the part of the bike that will assure you arrive where you are going where you want? I just rode across the country and am happy I had the Zumo. It makes the ride so much more enjoyable. Its $600 or whatever, and worth every penny. The ride is about the journey, and if the journey is spent afraid of being lost or stopping to look at a map, it sucks. Get the Zumo and stop being penny wise, pound foolish, respectfully.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Supporter

Just wanted to put this out there for the iPhone users. Garmin has an app for the iPhones. I believe it was around 40+. I have a life proof case and bar mount. Just returned from a 1800 mile trip last week. Worked great, even through the bike's speakers.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Elite HDF Member

Garmin just came out with a new Zumo, check out the Garmin site....priced around 250.00 or there about....

2013 Hot White Pearl
Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Hang Around

I've had two Nuvi 550's they are nice units I liked them, but they didn't like the vibrations from my fine HD 2008 RKC. The wimpy connector on the back of the unit seems to be the problem ,the first one lasted about 3 months and was quickly replaced by Garmin, the second one now is 1 year 2 months old (in NWPA that's about 6 months riding weather) I have had it on the bike for about 7000 miles and it will run on the battery and off the bike power connector but no longer connects to the computer via the usb cable, I'm told the connector on the back is the problem and has a $99.00 flat rate repair/replace cost. I'm going to replace it with a Zumo that's made for a motorcycle. Does anyone have any exp with the Harley units or the new Garmin 350L? I love going on the Harley Ride Planner and doing custom routes, having it take me the way I want to go, not where it wants to go.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 PM
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Garmin just came out with a new Zumo, check out the Garmin site....priced around 250.00 or there about....
Checked the Garmin site but didn't see anything about a new Zumo for $250.00. Do you know which model # you saw?

Blue Knights Maine I
"Ride with Pride"
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Elite HDF Member

I got a Nuvi 3760lmt new on ebay for $200. I use it in the car/truck/bike. It works great!Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 PM

P