Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Not Recommended by Factory in Primary

Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,518 Likes on 3,048 Posts

I've got 114,000 miles on the bike.

Everything in the primary is still the original part from the factory. ( I do run an M-6 chain tensioner.) And I've always used the cheapest 10W-40 or 20W-50 dino oil I could find.

Lately it's been Wal-Mart brand at $2.37 a quart.

Anything more is clearly a waste of your money. ( But it is your money to waste.)

Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Uh... Isn't this the same company that for years said putting synthetic oil in the engine would cause flat spots on the rod bearings - and then came out with their own brand of synthetic engine oil? IMO, this is just one more example of MOCO BS.

I've been using Redline Synthetic Primary Oil for years and will continue to do so.
+1 on that....Guess maybe with all the Compensater and inner primary bearing failures, their trying to put a band aid on them. The real problem it appears is the auto chain tensioner is making the chain to tight and causing the other issues.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Uh... Isn't this the same company that for years said putting synthetic oil in the engine would cause flat spots on the rod bearings - and then came out with their own brand of synthetic engine oil? IMO, this is just one more example of MOCO BS.

I've been using Redline Synthetic Primary Oil for years and will continue to do so.
Yup and I was using synthetic oil in my HD's then as well, so I'll just wait for them to catch up to me just like last time

Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Buy primary oil from local indy. why would you use slippery motor oil in a primary.
Seems so simple...never have, never will

Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by g money
I use mobil 1 20/50 synthetic in the primary and its smooth as butter.
Ya that ^^^ stuff for 60,000 miles no issues never have used SYN 3 because somebody told me it is a blend

Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
foghorn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you put engine oil in the transmission in your car? Would you put transmission fluid in the rear end of your car? Hell no you would not. Put engine oil in your engine, primary fluid in the primary, transmission fluid in transmission. Problems solved, recommended fluids in proper place. Yes, something else might work for awhile, but why risk it when it is simple 3rd grade rocket science. Redline tranny fluid is good for 20,000miles. Redline primary fluid is good for 10,000 miles. Amsoil engine oil is good for 5,000 miles. Change oil every 5,000 miles, every other oil change, change primary fluid, every 4th oil change, change all 3 fluids.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
sycle1
Tourer

Weren't the sythetic oils developed to combat engine wear from high temperatures in racing engines ?
Why wouldn't you use Syn 3? its really the best protection for your motor.
Considering the temperatures the Harleys take the oil too now with the lean tune.
I have had it in all my bikes and never had slipping clutches.
Sounds like BS to me!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM
1sicmofo
Tourer

I just bought a 12 roadking and having them take the stock oil out and replacing all 3 with SYN-3.
As it comes standard in All CVO models !!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:39 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sicmofo
I just bought a 12 roadking and having them take the stock oil out and replacing all 3 with SYN-3.
As it comes standard in All CVO models !!!!!!!!!!
That doesn't mean it's the correct fluid for the primary & transmission. BUT it's your bike and money so if anyone wants to run pure virgin olive oil or the orange HD Kool Aid in their bikes, go for it!!!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

From what I understand the problem isn't slipping, in some models, it's the stator. I've heard, so take it for what it's worth, that the stator can burn up with the syn oil.

I know Buells had an issue, maybe sportys do, but that's just an unconfirmed rumor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Not Recommended by Factory in Primary