Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tps code p2135 help!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default tps code p2135 help!

Slowing down to a stop on the highway today and engine light came on, the bike would only idle in limp mode. I have a powervision, so I read the code, and erase it. The bike would be ok until The revs came up and then it throws the same code. Rode it 20mph for 15 miles with the code. When I got near home I reset it and it worked ok. Got back into town and after a few minutes it threw the code again. Seems the high temp set it off. Do I need a new thrttle position sensor? Going on a ride in a week so would like to fix this asap. Can anyone give me advice? I searched but....

Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a search for DTC on here.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 PM
hover
Road Captain

I know what the DTC is, just want to know how to keep it from happening again. Replace tps?, clean connectors or whatever?...anybody have this happen on an 09 lately?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
hover
Road Captain

Thanks potato, I only got 1DTC, so I pulled the connector and dieelectric greased it...I couldn't see any fretting on pins but my eyes aren't what they used to be. I took it for a ride amd it seems to be ok. Ill check again when this weather smartens up.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,569 Likes on 4,608 Posts

remove the wire harness going to throttle body if you have some contact cleaner spray it in both ends of harness, put some dielectric grease around pins and plug back in and try that

Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,569 Likes on 4,608 Posts

guess I need to read all the posts before I post stuff!! oh well!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

That big cable which plugs in behind the air cleaner cover was made a little short by the factory. After some time it has a tendency to vibrate loose a little bit and will suddenly throw a code and relegate you to "poke along mode" because of a milisecond drop in voltage. Pull the plug out, clean the pins with a little alcohol and dab a small amount of die electric grease in the plug and reseat. When you change oil the next time remember to reseat the plug to prevent any further problems on the side of the road. Some people even go so far as to put a couple of wraps of good electrical tape around the plug to ensure it does not vibrate loose. Good idea.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Wires at TCA

I just went through this scenario again. After troubleshooting the problem, I ended up cutting off all the pins at the throttle control actuator, extending the wires by about four inches and redoing the connector, the pins are only about 50 cents apiece so it's pretty cheap fix. The first time I had the failure it set several codes concerning the throttle actuator correlation error dealing with the previously mentioned TT 418A. The problem then ended up being a broken wire at the throttle control actuator connector. The BK/WH (Pin 1 of the TCA connector, 5V Sensor GND) wire was broken inside the insulation just in front of the connector. It caused the ECM to not be able to see correct TPS Sensor signals. The TPS signals are used by the ECM to tell it where the throttle is. The TPS signals should be opposite each other and always equal 5 volts. One starts a 5v and goes low the other starts at 0v and goes high as the throttle is moved. No ground made both signals equal 5 volts so it set the correlation error fault plus some others. I added an inch of wire and repinned it and it was good for a year. This Sunday I experienced another limp mode condition. This time I troubleshot it to another broken wire, BK/PK (Pin 2 of the TCA connector, Throttle Actuator Control Low). The codes I had (I think anyway) were P2100 and P2105. I disconnected the TCA Connector and the ECM Connector and ohmed out all the wires between the TCA Connector and ECM. You have to push and pull on the wires as you ohm them out because a wire will probably be broken inside the insulation right before the TCA Connector. It is real tricky because if you use a digital meter it will just change values for half a second, if you use an analog meter it will probably be easier to see. You can verify the break by pinching the suspect wire and bending it as you move up the length of wire, you will feel the break in it. Like I said earlier I extended the wires and used some heat shrink to help support the wires at the TCA Connector. It is all good now, it took about 4 hrs to complete but I am slow.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:44 PM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me add to this problem.
My 2010 RG went into limp mode, I recycled the ignition, all was well for 1/2 mile, then limp mode again. codes P1511, P2135, P0031
I have PC V and I removed it, all was good for the rest of the day(50 miles)
What resolved the problem?
1) The Power commander V
2) I wiped the contacts on the ECM, by removing the PC V
??????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tps code p2135 help!