Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals vs. crossover

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 06:57 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Duals vs. crossover

Do dual headers have any advantage over the stock crossover pipes? I'll be using the Touring Mufflers on a Road Glide.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:17 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Duals vs. crossover

Trip

When people run duals, quite often the power is not as good as the crossover because of the scavenging of the crossover which is not present with the duals. Most times the best power is with a 2 into 1 because of the scavenging aspect. There has also been guys that baffle the left muffler in a crossover setup more than the right muffler for the better scavenging afforded by this. Most choose the duals for either looks or sound but not for better power.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanx, TC, not only is that good to know, you just saved me about 300 bucks. I suppose now that you'll be wanting a percentage[:@]

Old 08-06-2005, 09:14 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Nah, just a raise

Old 08-07-2005, 01:40 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

gonna have to go against the grain on this one, since i put the rineharts on my bike the mid and topend power has a noticable increase, especially when before at 55 mph, in 5th gear, id have to downshift if i wanted to go around a car in a hurry. now i gag it and it goes with no problems, i think its money well spent, they in my opinion look better, as far as a 2 into 1 pipe, single exhaust on a bagger.........i dont think so scooter!!

Old 08-07-2005, 02:03 AM
RKRob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My limited experience with the duals versus the "stock" crossover system would lead me to believe that I too have picked up a bunch of power, torque and horses from the Rinehart true duals which I installed 3 days ago and totally love. I am still using the stock air filter and I expect even better performance after install a K and N.

I have no experience with a 2 into 1 system which I have heard has more power output than a true dual.

I concer with mikeisglidn in his testimony concerning the duals.

Rob

Old 08-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry Mike, I'm not interested in mid-top end horsepower or am I in any special hurry to get anywhere. I'm looking for low to mid range torque for two up riding in a cruisin' mode.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

I was just reading the September 2005 issue of American Iron Magazine, "Buzz's Bagger Project" page 180, and it said that after adding the Rinehart True Duals, Dynojet Power Commander, and a Arlen Ness Big Sucker, the peak horsepower went from 59.0 to 76.3.
About the Rinehart True Duals it says, "while they do look good, they really let this engine exhale the way it should."

Not sure if this helps, but I hope it does.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:04 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Dispite what the butt dyno tells you, take a look at dyno testing for the duals vs a 2 into 1 system or the crossover system and it will sum it up pretty well for you. I agree that they look great and that a 2 into 1 don't look good on a bagger, but the choice of baffeling the left muffler more than the right essentially gives you similar benefits of the 2 into 1 system. Just like drag pipes are great for drags, they are not good for street bikes other than sounding "cool". The true duals will help with top end, but who's looking looking for top end on a bagger?

Old 08-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Feroce
Cruiser

Well I will find out very shortly when my V&H true duals come in on Monday. I am installing the ez clutch and duals then get the bike dynoed. I do wonder about what will happen, I agree that crossover (more back pressure) will increase low end TQ but I have the 95CU IN with 204 cams. The larger engine and less back pressure might be OK. This might be interesting.

By the way the reason I am doing it is to get rid of the heat and I like the looks also.

Ed

Quick Reply: Duals vs. crossover