Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control quit, any help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Cruise control quit, any help?

I have a 2007 FLHT that 4 years ago I had my dealer install a factory cruise control. On the way out to Sturgis a few weeks ago, about 1/3 of the way there, the cruise quit on me. What it did was while the cruise was engaged and I was bumping the speed up a few mph, it went full throttle on its own. I tapped the front brake and it shut off, but would not re-engage. I tried it again later after I had shut off the bike and now it engaged, but after a few minutes it again went full throttle on its own. I tapped the speed down button and the cruise shut off and again would not re-engage (no green light on the cruise indicator.) A bit later, without doing anything, the cruise engaged on its own and again went full throttle. I then turned off the switch on the dash to prevent that happening again. I have not been able to get it to re-engage since.

My brother had pretty much the same thing happen on his 2005 Road Glide after he had cruise put on. They ended up finding a pinched wire in the right controls. I took my right control apart today and did find a solid gray wire that had been partially pinched and had a small cut in the insulation. I sealed the insulation and put it back together but the cruise still does not work. The service manual is useless as there is nothing in it on diagnosis of problems, only replacing parts. I don't think the gray wire goes to the cruise switch, but to the start or on/off switch. I did not disassemble the control to check the wire down at the set/resume switch but the visible wires look OK. I don't even know how to test the switch as there is nothing in the manual giving any direction on how to do that.

Anyone have any ideas? Long shot I know, but thought I would try. I don't have the spare money to let the dealer go exploring and charging me whatever it is they charge an hour.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the really good information for trouble shooting this problem is in the Electrical service manual. Lots of trouble shooting trees to isolate a problem. So if you want to tackle this yourself picking up that manual shoud be the first step.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vzts4q
All the really good information for trouble shooting this problem is in the Electrical service manual. Lots of trouble shooting trees to isolate a problem. So if you want to tackle this yourself picking up that manual shoud be the first step.
I did pick up that manual and no, there are no "troubleshooting trees" in the electrical section. Only things there are is how to replace parts, next to nothing on determining problems. In fact there is very little about the cruise control at all, and what there is is spread throughout the manual.

I guess I will try replacing the switch and see where that goes.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 AM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend just had failure on an 2004 RKC. Hasn't been diagnosed but my indy says its's almost always a pinched wire. Your results may vary, good luck with your hunt.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Guntoter;10222258]I did pick up that manual and no, there are no "troubleshooting trees" in the electrical section. Only things there are is how to replace parts, next to nothing on determining problems. In fact there is very little about the cruise control at all, and what there is is spread throughout the manual.

Sorry about that I made the assumption that the 07 electrical manual would be as detailed as the 08 one, it has 7 pages dedicated to cruise troubleshooting. Maybe because the 08s have throttle by wire.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TURQ
My friend just had failure on an 2004 RKC. Hasn't been diagnosed but my indy says its's almost always a pinched wire. Your results may vary, good luck with your hunt.
Thanks, and that is what I thought too. So far cannot find anything pinched. You would think there would be some way to test the switch, but cannot find anything about that. Probably doesn't help that the bike has to be going a certain speed before the switch does anything anyway.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you check both brake light swtiches and wiring to see if the are functioning , if the are stuck on ( been a problem on some later models ) the cruise wont engage. Not sure about the goingt ofull throttle issue but it cheap and free to check the break light.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
Did you check both brake light swtiches and wiring to see if the are functioning , if the are stuck on ( been a problem on some later models ) the cruise wont engage. Not sure about the goingt ofull throttle issue but it cheap and free to check the break light.
Yes, thanks, that's the first thing I checked and both are working OK. I checked as much of the wiring as I could from the switches to inside the fairing where it connects to another wire loom. Checked that plug also and find no wires pinched or frayed or broken. I put it all back together in case it was a wire issue and still does not work. Later on I will try replacing the cruise set/resume switch and see if that fixes it. If not, I am definitely stuck.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes,brake light switch.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

typically the pinched wire is at the handlebar contols

Quick Reply: Cruise control quit, any help?