Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Lowers in Hot Weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
KenHar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Lowers in Hot Weather

I'm an Ultra rider, and I've received different "advice" from other touring riders about taking the lowers OFF in hot weather to aid in engine cooling. I've been told it's better for the engine and will extend it's life.

Any thoughts from real "gearheads" out there?

Thanks and RIDE SAFE !

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
DPelletier
Tourer

I'm interested in the responses too. I would imagine that cooling the rider down by removing the lowers might be as much a benefit as any additional engine cooling.

Dave

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they come on the CVO, which run a 110, which runs hotter than any 96 or 103

there are ZERO instructions/warning labels that say must be removed in hot weather

so take that for what its worth

Old 04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHar
I'm an Ultra rider, and I've received different "advice" from other touring riders about taking the lowers OFF in hot weather to aid in engine cooling. I've been told it's better for the engine and will extend it's life.

Any thoughts from real "gearheads" out there?

Thanks and RIDE SAFE !
I am not a real gearhead but I think the lowers direct the wind on the motor and removing the lowers will cool your legs but not additionally cool the motor
mazz

Old 04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Lowers come on the CVO and Ultras and are sold year round. I live in the high desert of So Ca , avg summer day temps are over 85 with highs to 105 and are local dealer never says anything about removing the lowers.

As others have said there may be a increase amount of air to the engine from the lowers directing it that way. if anything removing the lowers in hot weather is more for the riders comfort than anything else.

This is my first year running hard lowers and I like the result of using them so much in the way they reduce buffeting, Ill probably try keeping them on this summer.

harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The first thing I remove is the heal shifter and the second thing is the lowers. I have done that on two Ultras so far with no effect on the engine. I live is south Texas, 100+F (38C) during the summer regularly, I can't imagine riding with them on. By the way the Road King doesn't have lowers, same engine etc.

C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I took mine off once thinking the same thing but decided after riding with them off I liked them better on. I also like the extra storage where I keep tools in one side and cleaning materials in the other side. I'm really not worried about engine damage because they are left on in the summer, I don't think that is going to happen.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I rarely see an Ultra in the summer with the lowers removed. They are designed to be used year round and direct flow to the engine.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
04sportster04
Advanced

I leave mine on and put my feet on Highway pegs. Heat never bothers me and if you are worried about heat issues install this http://www.wardspartswerks.com/

I don't have them but again I have an EVO which doesn't get as hot as the newer 103

Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I have Dragon Wings on my upper fairing and open up the vents on the lowers. Gives me plenty of air in the summer.

Quick Reply: Removing Lowers in Hot Weather