Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quiet and cool oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quiet and cool oil

Guys I have run amsoil in everything I own, but after reading some of the info here, i tried dino oil, tried castrol , and switched to Brad Penn,,,both were quieter in the valve train...then I noticed, the Brad Penn was running about 20 degrees hotter than my old 60 weight amsoil...so I tried Royal Purple 20/50 today and sure enough, very quiet motor and even cooler than my amsoil...Rough numbers were amsoil...noisy motor and about 210 highway oil temp at 95 F.....castrol had quiet motor, dont remember the oil temp...Brad Pen, quiet motor, but about 225 oil temp...Royal Purple produced a very quiet motor, and ran about 205 oil temp at 95 F.......your mileage may vary.......

Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

205F-210F with synthetic oil is about right. I run Mobil1 15W-50 and I'm at 190F when moving in summer temp but I have an oil cooler so my oil is probably 15 to 20 degrees cooler than without it.
I tried Brad Penn out of curiosity 2 years ago and I flushed it after 200 miles. My clutch didn't like it at all and my engine was not quieter than with M1.

Anyway, the best way to run cooler is to properly tune the bike. Oil has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:20 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

your numbers can have 2 meanings

a.) that the motor is running cooler

b.) that the oil is not removing as much heat from the motor internals

one is good, the other bad

c.) quiet can be higher viscosity- which consumes power, does not flow into and through all the motor as quickly and easily-

synthetic oil is more resistant to thermal breakdown- the oil in a Twin Cam is asked to do more than the oil in any previous motor. Non- synthetic is a really bad idea.
As it is sprayed at the bottom of the pistons and the cylinder walls it can crystalize.

I've had old motors with crystalized oil in the pan, it is like sand.

when testing temps the conditions need to be same for each test. temperature, humidity and speed- any changes in the air flow to the motor ( like vents open/closed)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-21-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser

I am just running stage 1 with fatshotz, and have never worried about my oil temp, but after looking at the royal purple web site, i saw their claim that their oil would run cooler than dino oil by about 25 degrees...so I had to try it and it looks like at least on my bike it is true.....

Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mkguitar
your numbers can have 2 meanings

a.) that the motor is running cooler

b.) that the oil is not removing as much heat from the motor internals

one is good, the other bad

c.) quiet can be higher viscosity- which consumes power, does not flow into and through all the motor as quickly and easily-

synthetic oil is more resistant to thermal breakdown- the oil in a Twin Cam is asked to do more than the oil in any previous motor. Non- synthetic is a really bad idea.
As it is sprayed at the bottom of the pistons and the cylinder walls it can crystalize.

I've had old motors with crystalized oil in the pan, it is like sand.

when testing temps the conditions need to be same for each test. temperature, humidity and speed- any changes in the air flow to the motor ( like vents open/closed)

Mike
mie, i am willing to lose a tiny bit of power , to have a quiet running motor that does not clatter...and as for cooling, i assume if the oil temp is cooler, then the motor is too....I could be wrong...I have never seen oil temps down and cylinder temps up with an oil change....but like I said....i have been wrong many times

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Myself, I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in both bikes, but I'm sure Amsoil + Royal Purple are right up there. For me, it's a matter of availability, and the Mobil 1 is just easier to find.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by CRocks
Myself, I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in both bikes, but I'm sure Amsoil + Royal Purple are right up there. For me, it's a matter of availability, and the Mobil 1 is just easier to find.
I would be happy with any of um, jst got tired of the valve noise with amsoil...and thought i would experiment....ran race engines on my mini sprint on amsoil for years, at 15,300 into every corner..never had a problem......

Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM
hdmike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrat1
Guys I have run amsoil in everything I own, but after reading some of the info here, i tried dino oil, tried castrol , and switched to Brad Penn,,,both were quieter in the valve train...then I noticed, the Brad Penn was running about 20 degrees hotter than my old 60 weight amsoil...so I tried Royal Purple 20/50 today and sure enough, very quiet motor and even cooler than my amsoil...Rough numbers were amsoil...noisy motor and about 210 highway oil temp at 95 F.....castrol had quiet motor, dont remember the oil temp...Brad Pen, quiet motor, but about 225 oil temp...Royal Purple produced a very quiet motor, and ran about 205 oil temp at 95 F.......your mileage may vary.......
Thanks for the info. I am looking at changing out the Harley Syn because of the noise. Been thinking Royal Purple or Brad Penn.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm an oil nut. I've got so many different brands and grades in my garage it's retarded. But I wanted to try all the heavyweights in my bike and see for myself,from experience,which reduced noise,how quickly the rpms hit and so on.
Royal purple and motul were the top dogs as far as noise reduction. Mobil 1 was the absolute loudest. Mobil was so loud it was like a can of marbles rattling. Amsoil v-twin 20w-50 was about the middle but if I substituted a quart of straight 60 and that helped quiet it down.
Of all the oils I tried pennzoil 20w-50 auto oil was the quietest. And it was also the cheapest.
Try motul next time. Great stuff

Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I'm an oil nut. I've got so many different brands and grades in my garage it's retarded. But I wanted to try all the heavyweights in my bike and see for myself,from experience,which reduced noise,how quickly the rpms hit and so on.
Royal purple and motul were the top dogs as far as noise reduction. Mobil 1 was the absolute loudest. Mobil was so loud it was like a can of marbles rattling. Amsoil v-twin 20w-50 was about the middle but if I substituted a quart of straight 60 and that helped quiet it down.
Of all the oils I tried pennzoil 20w-50 auto oil was the quietest. And it was also the cheapest.
Try motul next time. Great stuff
What Motul oil did you use?

http://www.motul.com/us/en-us/produc...%5Brange%5D=21

Quick Reply: quiet and cool oil