Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Road Warrior
Default Anybody do the oil pump spring kit for better oil pressure?

Just curious if anybody tried the spring kit to get better oil pressure. I have a 99 EG Standard that I bought a couple of months ago and the dealer put new tensioners in it, the old spring type. The bike runs fine I would just like to have a little better oil pressure then below 5 hot at idle, any pros or cons?

4th Bat, 37th Armor, 1st Inf Div, Desert Storm vet
Member of Son's of Confederate Veterans MC Company A, 2nd Battalion, Virginia
99 FLHT, S&S 97 inch BB, Andrews 37G cams, Daytona TT ignition, Vance & Hines Pro Pipe
2000 FXDL 95 inch BB, Bronze Pearl
Old 08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwb35 View Post
Just curious if anybody tried the spring kit to get better oil pressure. I have a 99 EG Standard that I bought a couple of months ago and the dealer put new tensioners in it, the old spring type. The bike runs fine I would just like to have a little better oil pressure then below 5 hot at idle, any pros or cons?
On your year bike, the Baisley Oil Spring is recommended.
I was going to put one in my 09 but from what I've read, it's really not necessary with the new oil pumps. Cheap enough at about $15 shipped but if it's not going to make a big difference in my bike, why fix something that's not broken.
'09 SG, Black Pearl, Cruise, Security, ABS, MGS Duals/Pipes, Fuel Moto A/F, Rev. Performance EMS, TW-222 Cams, VThunder Lifters, Zippers Dual Piston Tensioners, Baisley Oil Spring, HD CC Anarchy Wheels, Satellite Radio, 100% LED's, Twin Peak 12" Apes, JRI Shocks, Race Tech Springs w/ modded Intiminators, Chrome Front End, King Tour Pak, Headwinds Headlight Bezel, Biketronics Amp & Speakers, Jagg 10 Row Oil Cooler, K & P Oil Filter, True-Track Stabilizer.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Road Master

E.R.T products. Better than a spring and adjustable
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Road Warrior

ok, there is a company named ERT Products, they have a kit that is $70, comes with 3 different oil springs, cover gasket, tool for putting in the new spring, 3 roll pins and 2 exhaust gaskets, the 3 different springs let you adjust the pressure to where you want it. Just wanted to hear from somone that has done this and the difference it made.

4th Bat, 37th Armor, 1st Inf Div, Desert Storm vet
Member of Son's of Confederate Veterans MC Company A, 2nd Battalion, Virginia
99 FLHT, S&S 97 inch BB, Andrews 37G cams, Daytona TT ignition, Vance & Hines Pro Pipe
2000 FXDL 95 inch BB, Bronze Pearl
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Club Member
Mark A. Hardy - CHST

I've got the 30% Baisley spring in my '09. It make quite a difference. It's hard to give you exact pressure reading due to the nature of the HD oil gauge, but I would say I'm pushing 50# at 3000 rpm with 210 degree oil temp. Idle pressure is about twice stock. It will be different with an early model, but it should be better than what you have now. Baisley also offers a 15% spring.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

HVLP, High Volume Low Pressure; that is the type of oiling system used in the Twin Cam. Its a little different from what folks are acustomed to, higher pressure will not necessarily improve lubrication.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Road Captain

Hey Fab, your the oil guy here on POF. I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, but would the added oil pressure help the engine shed heat quicker because of the increased in volume (flow)?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Road Warrior

I put the Baisley spring i n to get rid of the excess valve train noise. a year later and it worked. 50-55 at cruise. as mentioned more than stock at idle
Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead3 View Post
Hey Fab, your the oil guy here on POF. I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, but would the added oil pressure help the engine shed heat quicker because of the increased in volume (flow)?
No way man, I dont know much about oil itself just a little about the thermal aspect and the lubrication system, but I don't think you will see a significant increase in volume by increasing pressure, at least not enough to see a measurable drop in temperature. I'm pretty sure you have to open up all the journals and port in order to increase flow.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Elite HDF Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Quadancer Send a message via Skype™ to Quadancer

I put a slug under my stock spring they sell for about $6.00 - same pressures as the Beasly. Oil temps will run the same.
The one thing I don't like about it is cold pressures. My gauge pegs out with a slight rev (probably 80-90 lbs), so for the first couple miles it doesn't even try to regulate and I have to ride at a low chug until some heat hits the oil and it stays under 60 lbs.

I can't see this working in winter (I ride all year long, all temps) so will have to take it out. Is the Beasly spring just as bad on this?
I DO like seeing 20 lb. idle pressures when hot though. Like a new bike.

~Southern Cruisers Riding Club~
"Road Rash"
Etowah River Chapter 268
If the boards ain't sparkin' you're just parkin'!
DARKSIDE RULES!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM

P