Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner vs Stock Seat ('05 Ultra)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
hdmike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner vs Stock Seat ('05 Ultra)

Looking for advice from guys who switched. I just had my stock seat redone, with gel-pads and memory foam, and new cover. The guy did a great job on the seat. But I still suffer from the pressure points in my low butt, upper leg area. Numbness and legs tingling .

Does the Sundowner offer relief in that area from the shape of the seat? Or any of the other HD replacement seats? Would a seat with a larger "pan" help? A 1/2 hr. trail ride on the demos does'nt give enough time to get a longer ride feel for the seat.
I am 6'02" , 235# if that helps.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a Sundowner on my 07 FLHT for I wanted extra leg room, (34" inseam") and it fit the bill much better than the Tallboy I also tried.
The Sundowner moved me back an inch and 1/2, down a little, and offered great lumbar support with the curved design and lift to the passenger area.
I was so sold on it, so I put one on my 2012 here a couple of weeks ago.

It is a very comfy seat which allows me some wiggle room to change to about 4 different positions on long rides, quite comfortably.

Find a local dealer for most in this area now have "demo's" on hand so you can try before you buy. Most will let you do some serious saddle time before comitting.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Replaced the stock seat on my Ultra with the Sundowner. Like it much better than the stocker.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
SharkBit
Advanced

I just upgraded my stock seat to a Sundowner w/ the Streetglide stitching and matching backrest for the passenger. I love the way it is. I am on the shorter side...29" inseam and this seat is extremely comfortable and adjusted my riding posture that makes it much better for me.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 PM
hdmike
Advanced

Thanks for the info ! I see HD is offering the Hammock for the '05 models also.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I had a Sundowner on my old bike and I really was comfortable on it. I tried the stock and Tallboy as well.I was ready to have a custom one made for me but after trying the Sundowner I never gave it another thought. On this current bike it had a Reach seat which just plain sucked, I am 6'3" 275lbs. I found a good deal on a Corbin dual tour and not sure I dig it nearly as much as the Sundowner, hard to tell though because there was a few years between bikes.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried the sundowner seat at the dealer since they have them to test out. Tried it for about 30 min. Seat was firm and more comfortable than the stock street glide seat. It felt like it sat me up about 2" and an inch back. Didn't like the way it boosted me up. When stopped you can really feel how much. Felt like I would now need a new windshield because of the added height. Are ther different sundowner seats. I see some say it dropped than down.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,333 Likes on 3,273 Posts

I am 6'1" 255lbs. 2007 FLHTC went from stock (for 1000 miles) to Mustang Wide Tour (for about 65000 miles) which was a big improvement and recently went to a Sundowner (about 7000 miles total now) and all i can say is WOW!...i put the Mustang back on this past weekend and i can say it sucked compared to the Sundowner... My wife likes the Mustang because the back is massive compared to the the sundowner...that is why i will keep it.
I am sure some will disagree with me but that is my opinion...Maybe some that are using the Mustang have never used the Sundowner... I did and i will probably never buy another Mustang again. What i may do is have Mean City Cycles or another upholsterer add some foam to the front on my Mustang.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I tried the sundowner seat at the dealer since they have them to test out. Tried it for about 30 min. Seat was firm and more comfortable than the stock street glide seat. It felt like it sat me up about 2" and an inch back. Didn't like the way it boosted me up. When stopped you can really feel how much. Felt like I would now need a new windshield because of the added height. Are ther different sundowner seats. I see some say it dropped than down.
The mid 2010's and 2011's and later Touring Bikes all have a lower seats them previous models, especially the streetglide via seat and shocks. Thats probably why some people say it lowered them and it raised you. I have a 2012 FLHX and was considering the Sundowner also. I dont want to be raised up any so if I buy one I will have to figure in the cost of having it modified to be lowered some.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Clean
Cruiser

I have a Sundowner seat, I only use it for long distance riding. Anyway, I average 750 miles a day on long rides, the set offers support and comfort, I have no pain, and it even offers a little lower back support as well.

Quick Reply: Sundowner vs Stock Seat ('05 Ultra)