Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Khrome Werks Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Lone Star Biker
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Khrome Werks Hitches

I didn't get any responses in the trailer forum, so I figure I would try it here.

I just got back from my first trip to.Sturgis, which was awesome. However, I decided real quick after the trip that I needed to invest in a trailer. I have a trailer ordered from minitrailerusa.com. After my research,it seemed to be the best trailer for the money.

Now I am down to selecting a hitch. I have a 2010 Ultra. I have an opportunity to pick up a Khrome Werks hitch for an excellent price. Does anyone have any experience using this hitch? Can it handle 400 or so pounds safely? I have read on here that most of you prefer the mc hitch or hitch doc, but I would really like to hear from you that have personally used the Khrome Werks. If it is a solid hitch, I do not want to pass up getting the one I found for an excellent price (under $200). Thanks.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a Khrome Werks receiver-style hitch on my 2009 Ultra. Aside from some extra rattling because it's a receiver hitch, I have been happy with mine. I have no doubt it will easily handly your 400 lb. trailer. One issue with mine: the wiring connector is positioned so that all manner of road grime/rain water/mud is flung directly at the connector by the rear tire. A mudflap or a generous helping of dielectric grease (or both) will be needed to protect the connection.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Lone Star Biker
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask about the weight is because the manufacturer says don't tow more than 300 lbs. Well, after the 220 lbs or so of trailer, you won't get to put much in there. The shop I'm going to get it at claims it should be fine.

I'm assuming you prefer the receiver style? I guess it should give you a cleaner look when not towing.

Can you turn the ball mount over to achieve a taller height?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone Star Biker
Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask about the weight is because the manufacturer says don't tow more than 300 lbs. Well, after the 220 lbs or so of trailer, you won't get to put much in there. The shop I'm going to get it at claims it should be fine.

I'm assuming you prefer the receiver style? I guess it should give you a cleaner look when not towing.

Can you turn the ball mount over to achieve a taller height?
Yes, I liked the cleaner look when not towing and yes, you can turn the ball mount over to adjust hitch height. But you also have to store the ball mount somewhere when not in use and you have to keep track of the hitch pin, etc. I had to get longer safety chains to reach the chain hooks since the receiver hitch puts the ball out a little farther than the bumper hitch. Even so, I'm still happy with my decision and it is a good, sturdy hitch for towing a trailer.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM
EC Rider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
But you also have to store the ball mount somewhere when not in use and you have to keep track of the hitch pin, etc.
I store mine in the trailer. Easy to locate, as long as you remember where you put the trailer!