Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans mainshaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 PM
sg2007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans mainshaft bearing

I was having a loud rattle coming from the primary when shifting and clutch disengaged so i took it over to the dealership since its under warranty.I was called thursday and told that the rattle was coming from the transmission mainshaft bearing,service guy said it was shot and there was play on the mainshaft and causing the rattle.He also mentioned the inner primary bearing was also shot.The bike is a 2011 streetglide with 12,000 miles on the clock, I was running Amsoil severe gear in trans and Formula plus in primary.Seems like low miles for something like this to happen,and never heard of this with low miles.I did have a tire installed at around 6,000 miles and did notice a chirp on decel and mentioned it to the service guy,he said it was normal.Is it possible that the belt was too tight and caused the bearing to fail?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sg2007
I was having a loud rattle coming from the primary when shifting and clutch disengaged so i took it over to the dealership since its under warranty.I was called thursday and told that the rattle was coming from the transmission mainshaft bearing,service guy said it was shot and there was play on the mainshaft and causing the rattle.He also mentioned the inner primary bearing was also shot.The bike is a 2011 streetglide with 12,000 miles on the clock, I was running Amsoil severe gear in trans and Formula plus in primary.Seems like low miles for something like this to happen,and never heard of this with low miles.I did have a tire installed at around 6,000 miles and did notice a chirp on decel and mentioned it to the service guy,he said it was normal.Is it possible that the belt was too tight and caused the bearing to fail?
Mine failed on my 07 RG at 28K. I changed it myself since it was off warranty at the time. I would say that you might be correct about the belt being too tight causing early failure. If you do a search on here, you will find a lot on this subject. You can also search for my posts and find my thread on the inner primary bearing. I posted a bunch of pics.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts