Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new here, having trouble with my 98 FLHRCI

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default new here, having trouble with my 98 FLHRCI

Hey guys, new to the forum, and new to harleys (luckily, not new to wrenching on most anything mechanical)

I got a 98 road king (evo, EFI) from a buddy of mine. got it *cheap* because it had a low (read: NO) oil pressure problem. with the help of another buddy of mine (who's been working on harleys since he was 12) we traced it back to a broken snap ring inside the cam chest, that let the woodruff key back off the oil pump drive shaft. fixed it, and woohoo, 20-30PSI

that seems to be where my problems started. the bike has 4800 miles on it (yes, its LOW). my buddy bought it in 04 with 4100 on it, and only put 700 miles on it in the time he had it...when he lost oil pressure, he had a mechanic fix it (new S&S oil pump) and rode it ~ 20 miles before it lost oil pressure again (because of the broken snap ring). he trailered it home and parked it. it sat for the last ~ 4 years or so.

rather than detail every last thing i went through to get to this point, i'll list whats been replaced

new fuel pump
new preformed lines (inside the tank)
new fuel filter
new intake manifold seals/gaskets
new plugs
new wires
new check valves in the fuel tank (these were missing, but thats a story for another day)
fresh fuel (93 octane), with a fuel system cleaner/octane booster added

the bike is running like hell, and seems to have gotten worse since I fixed the intake manifold seals (i took a picture that i'll link here, shows the rear cylinder intake manifold is light brown, where the front jug is jet black (heavy on the carbon). it's BARELY able to get out its own way at low RPMs / part throttle....feels/sounds like its running on 1 cylinder, but, it gets past the stumble and it RIPS (fairly sure the original owner had put some $$$ into the bike...ECM scan/test run by the local shop said it was running a ScreamingEagle "Stage2" map, which usually means intake/exhaust/cam (it does have the harley "stage 1" intake kit w/ K&N filter, and V&H slip ons).

i'm at a loss. I'm either looking at (i think) replacing injectors (@ $106/each, harley only part apparently), or replacing the coil (~$160).

I've already got a fair chunk of change invested into *fixing* it, but if this goes much farther, the whole MM efi system is getting torn out and i'm putting a mikuni on there....at least I know how to work on carbs

any gurus who can offer some insight? I'm sure ive forgotten to mention something I did, so i'll update as I remember.

Thanks

Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Jasper, so you know there is also an evo forum.

Most of riders here have late model experience.

In your shoes, I'd be thinking about a carb conversion- i like the Keihn CV carb over a mikuni- but that is me- and I have an inordinate fear of the MM...I stayed on my carbed evo bagger until the 09 which has a good efi system.

a conversion is only a few hundred bucks depending on how much you are able to do yourself.

mike

Old 09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Jasper86
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks for the heads up. I reposted this to the eve forum. Mods, feel free to delete this if need be.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:22 PM
jim269
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the very same problem. Replaced the Cylinder-head Temperature Sensor and all was fine.

It is located in the top middle of the front cylinder.