Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Base Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Raum68
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I am from Germany and i bought a new 2013 Softail Deluxe. I have got the same weep at both Cylinder Bases. Could you tell me that your Problem with the weepage has gone? My Dealer says this is normal and it comes from assambly lube.

Sorry for my bad English

Old 05-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

Originally Posted by Raum68
Hello

I am from Germany and i bought a new 2013 Softail Deluxe. I have got the same weep at both Cylinder Bases. Could you tell me that your Problem with the weepage has gone? My Dealer says this is normal and it comes from assambly lube.

Sorry for my bad English
See this top and bottom. Clean it off. It will go away shortly.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 AM
gjhinson
Stage II

I'm glad I read this post. I picked up my first Harley last night with 6 miles on the odometer, also a '13 street glide(even though its being discontinued in '14) I know if I saw an oil leak this early in the ownership I would've been highly skeptical of my purchase, but it sounds like this is more common with new Harley's?

Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like most have said clean it up and see if it comes back. I didnt have any on this bike but I did on my 08 Dyna when I got it. It was around the cam cover. Cleaned it up good and never had a issue after that.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 PM
harticat
4th Gear
Default Fighting the seep

My 13 Streetglide has this base cylinder oil seep and quite honestly I am tired of it. It's back to the dealer for the second time with this issue ,since the warranty is a week out. This is not the guide oil issue since I put on 1700 miles after the last pull down. I hope they get this right since my warranty will be done when I finally get it back. This is my first Harley and I am struggling with being ok about it. The wifes softtail has had no issue like mine and more miles on it.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
GNrider
Tourer

I have an 09 that just started that at 34,000. I have owned it for a year and still fighting oil leaks!My 88 never leaked a drop, go figure!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:13 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
See this top and bottom. Clean it off. It will go away shortly.
Purchased my 2015 Street Glide Special 1 month ago. Have about 700 miles on it and have notice a weepage around the base of both cylinders and the top of the front one. Is this really assembly lube as stated above? Never had this on any other new bike I purchased. Oil level is fine. Haven't been to the dealer. Next question: Closest dealer is 45 miles away and dealer I purchased from is 90. Should I go back to the purchasing dealer or closest?

Old 12-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

If all you see is like post 11, I would clean it off, cold, with straight liquid detergent and a paint brush. Rinse it off. Do it a few times if it reappears.. Then ask question if it comes back. My thought is you have plenty of warrant time left. If you happen to go in and a dealer needed the work and he knew you were supporting his finding, he could give the kid back there who worked for Mickey D's a year ago and finished votech motorcycle school 101 taking your engine into 100pcs. After scratching the tank, buggering up a lot of bolts and calling in extra help to get it all back together. You would have one piece of junk that will never be right. Take your choice. If it's a true leak, this would fall under warranty. Any dealer would fix it. Think certain things come under original dealer like a scratch or such from my experience with car. I have never purchased a new bike, Tried a couple of time but the deals were too one sided but bikes are just a hobby to me and I do not need or want a new. Read below thread but you need to post picture for a true opinion.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...oil-stain.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-01-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by hdjoe88
Purchased my 2015 Street Glide Special 1 month ago. Have about 700 miles on it and have notice a weepage around the base of both cylinders and the top of the front one. Is this really assembly lube as stated above? Never had this on any other new bike I purchased. Oil level is fine. Haven't been to the dealer. Next question: Closest dealer is 45 miles away and dealer I purchased from is 90. Should I go back to the purchasing dealer or closest?
Yes, the base weeping is most likely from assembly lube...and it can take several hundred to a couple thousand miles to completely evaporate. Not every bike has that issue...I've only had one bike do it. Just seems to depend on the guy assembling that day and how much lube he used on that bike.

As for the top of the cylinder, I'd watch that one a bit more closely. For both issues, be careful about using any harsh chemicals to clean the oil. Sometimes a strong cleaner will remove the oil and the paint...looks really bad too.

You should be able to go to any dealer you'd like. Just try to establish a good working relationship with them and that will most likely pay off in the future.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm leaning towards assembly lube (Wishful thinking? LOL). I'll get some pics tomorrow and post.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Base Oil Leak