Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody's bike go into limp mode thats running a thundermax auto tune system?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 PM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anybody's bike go into limp mode thats running a thundermax auto tune system?

Just curious if swapping out the HD ECU to a Thundermax auto tune would stop the limp mode problems in my bike?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's done it once. Tmax doesn't prevent limp mode. Have you tried cleaning, greasing, and tightening your TPS sensor connection behind the breather? That's probably the cause of your limp mode. Some guys swap out the pins for larger ones.

Tmax does disable EITMS. I asked Zippers about it and they said the engine runs cooler so no need to shut down the rear cylinder.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 AM
79289Chase
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky73
Mine's done it once. Tmax doesn't prevent limp mode. Have you tried cleaning, greasing, and tightening your TPS sensor connection behind the breather? That's probably the cause of your limp mode. Some guys swap out the pins for larger ones.

Tmax does disable EITMS. I asked Zippers about it and they said the engine runs cooler so no need to shut down the rear cylinder.

I was wondering about this as I couldn't get it to turn on/off on my bike. Guess I know the answer now.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Well...depends on what's causing your bike to go into limp mode and...is it limp mode, or EITMS???

Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain

no its limp mode. It will only rev to about 1200 RPM'S at full throttle. I'll try cleaning and lubing the connector behind the ac. I wonder how you go about installing bigger pins?
I was hoping the TMAX solved that problem as it would be another reason to switch.
There's no easy road - "WISHBONE ASH"

Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

My 09 Classic started doing it at 15K miles. Engine runs, but no power. Pull over, shut it down, wait 10 seconds, fire it back up, and it could be fine for 2 weeks or could do it again in 2 miles. Turned out to be corrosion at the end of a wiring harness behind the fairing. Fixed under warranty. It was fine after that. Have read about it alot on the forums here.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 2010 FLHTK with a t-max and have never had an issue, pulls like a monster.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
chrldo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limp mode is caused by a problem with the throttle by wire system. It lowers rpm so there is no danger of it suddenly raising. Most problems are caused by the throttle connector at carb behind the air cleaner. Open the connection and clean , reinstall using dielectric grease. Harley hasn't recalled for this problem but a local hd dealer is replacing only the pins in connector that cause the problem for $40. This is more dangerous than you think, imagine pulling out in front of a tractor trailer truck as i did when it goes to limp mode! It can also be caused by a shorted wire , usually at the switch for the jiffy stand.

Last edited by chrldo; 09-22-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: t
Old 09-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Sparky73
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocksandgiz
no its limp mode. It will only rev to about 1200 RPM'S at full throttle. I'll try cleaning and lubing the connector behind the ac. I wonder how you go about installing bigger pins?
I was hoping the TMAX solved that problem as it would be another reason to switch.
There's no easy road - "WISHBONE ASH"

Contact cleaner and dielectric grease on the TPS connector will probably fix your issue. What year is your scoot? As I understand it, the pins were changed/upgraded in 2011 so you may not need new pins. You can check with your dealer on pin replacement but I'd go with the $5 grease fix first because it's worked for most here. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain

I'm gonna clean and grease that connector. I rode 200 miles yesterday without a problem. It's only done it twice and both times was after starting up after it was hot. I can see that if it happens while riding it would be a very serious safety issue.
Thanks for the replies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody's bike go into limp mode thats running a thundermax auto tune system?