Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparring to attempt cam replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM
toxic donkey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparring to attempt cam replacement

I am about to pick up a set of used se255 cams just to try them out since they can be gotten for fairly cheap. My question is do I have to put in new cam bearings as well? Also what special tools do I definitely need for the install? I was going to buy a tman 555 torqster, and I still, but the 255s are just too cheap not to try.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Spacing between the 2 cams is critical to reinsertion of the cams and plate ASM. J&P or Dennis Kirk or your dealership sells the cam alignment tool. I installed a set of 211's in mine with just a dial claiper to get the distance between center correct. The cams will not go back in without damaging the inner cam bearings if the cams are not aligned. Also, I used 4 magnets to hold the lifters up, harley sells a u shaped magnet kit that holds 2 lifters up per magnet asm. Did you get adjustable pushrods?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw a utube video on changing out the cams. Also this thread here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...nsruction.html that had great step by step directions. Great right up.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TW 222 cams are a better way to go than SE255 cams.going that route after putting 10K of the SE units.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
toxic donkey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered the se adjustable pr, yeah i know there are better cams its just that for approx $100 they have to be better than whats in my stock 103.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

The magnet is going to be key. I'd watch a video and pay close attention to everything they're using. I find that I always forget something.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 255 cams aren't "bad" they just run out of steam at higher rpms.they will feel much quicker than stock cams no question. Don't get too crazy adding too much cam for a dyno number that runs like ***** on the street..

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM
morleyz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just finished putting a TW-777 in my 103. I used this video for instruction:

I'd watch it a couple of times before starting so you can be familiar with the process. It helped me a lot.

I would say yes to replacing your cam bearings. They're cheap, so why not? I used the Gary Beatty tool for the bearings and it worked flawlessly. As others said, definitely get adjustable pushrods (I used Fuel Moto, S&S looks similar). I would use fresh gaskets as o-rings as well.

Not sure about what the other poster said about the cam alignment tool, but I didn't use one. Once you bolt the cams into the cam plate, I don't really know how you could insert them misaligned back into the cam chest. There's not really any play.

This turned out to be a pretty easy job if you follow the video. Probably took me 4 hours from start to finish as this was my first time and I wanted to be careful.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:36 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it. I changed my cams myself, its not that big a deal. Just watch the video and take your time.

As for the inner cam bearings, I changed mine out to the torrington bearings. I have since talked to several mechanics that I trust and they say it was probably not needed on a lower mile bike. If its a higher mile bike change them out just for insurance. They said all the inner bearing problems was on the 88's which use a different size bearing. I'm just repeating what I was told.

I pulled the tank, went through the top and re-used the stock pushrods. Takes about 30 - 45 minutes longer to go through the top vs. adjustable pushrods. That saved me $150 and plus I got to check the top end out and get familiar with the workings of the bike. The top end gaskets were already included in the gasket set so no extra $$$ for the gaskets. I got a little over $300 in my cam install, and that includes buying a heartland cam bearing remover/installer.

Some say less than positive things about the SE255's but I love mine, power right where I ride.

Good luck. Like me, I think you will be happy with the results.

Last edited by 2004Sierra; 09-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
The TW 222 cams are a better way to go than SE255 cams.going that route after putting 10K of the SE units.
I've read the op's post 3 times and no where does he ask which are better.
Op. Get Torrington inner cam bearings. They are way better than the stockers,yes change them.

Quick Reply: Preparring to attempt cam replacement