Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thwarting Theft

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
NPW
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thwarting Theft

I've read numerous posts on this subject and heard all the common answers ie; good insurance, .45ACP, 9mm, bad dog ect. But what is your opinion on the best way to secure a bike in a parking lot that is portable and difficult to defeat. I realize no one can defend against 4 big sh%theads and a van. Seems like the fork lock and hotwiring these bikes are pretty easy. What has the best chance of having the thieves say "screw it" and move on. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Big honking chain to an immovable object. That and a .40 cal pistol.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:55 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NPW
I've read numerous posts on this subject and heard all the common answers ie; good insurance, .45ACP, 9mm, bad dog ect. But what is your opinion on the best way to secure a bike in a parking lot that is portable and difficult to defeat. I realize no one can defend against 4 big sh%theads and a van. Seems like the fork lock and hotwiring these bikes are pretty easy. What has the best chance of having the thieves say "screw it" and move on. Thanks.
If your bike is all alone in a deserted, desolate area. It's going to be hard to deter would-be thieves. If you are parked in a sea of bikes, the more you do to it to make it harder to steal, the higher likely-hood of the thieves moving on to an easier target.

That being said, an audible alarm with a brake lock and a cable tying it to something stationary or another bike might be your best bet. If they take it after all of that, then they really wanted it as compared to every other bike out there. Another thing you might want to think about is a Lo-Jack. In case they do steal it, the cops might be able to recover it quickly assuming you are in a LoJack PD area.

Try not to stress too much about it or you are gonna keep yourself from riding. The more you can be around it, the less chance someone will steal it.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides the ignition/locked forks, a simple disk lock will make most of them walk on by & chaining it to a pole or something is even better. The professional thief will get it if they want it bad enough.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In a motel parking lot, or similar lot without the motorcycle event crowd, the usual locks, chains, alarm, insurance routine. At an event where there's a lot of bikes, & thieves, park at least one or two rows back from the front. I don't care how many big guys came in the van, they ain't likely to carry a bike with the alarm goin' off over a row or two of other bikes.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

make it hard like above.

and when you are returning home, spin around the block.

when i lived in LA 20 years ago bike thefts were common, spinning around the block to make sure you weren't being followed was a good idea.

one of my pals had his garage door yanked off and his bike taken.

Mike

Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
NPW
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
At an event where there's a lot of bikes, & thieves, park at least one or two rows back from the front. I don't care how many big guys came in the van, they ain't likely to carry a bike with the alarm goin' off over a row or two of other bikes.
[QUOTE=mkguitar;10368753

and when you are returning home, spin around the block.

when i lived in LA 20 years ago bike thefts were common, spinning around the block to make sure you weren't being followed was a good idea.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Great ideas...this is just what i was looking for...hadn't heard these before...Thanks