Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Super E Carb Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default S&S Super E Carb Problem

just had carb cleaned out S&S T-111 motor w/super E carb; ran good for a couple of days twice low idle; I get home gas is pouring out the over-flow tube.

I went to shut off the petcock gas is still flowing out.

I removed the pingle petcock the shut off is not working -- ordered a new pingel petcock.

Could this be a problem coming from the malfunctioning petcock?

What else do I need to do?

Also would a super G carb increase performance?

previous problem: have a S&S t-111 with Super E carb on my 06 SG--the motor is little more than a year old. recently it has developed a problem with idling after an extended period on the highway--it runs fine except when I get off the highway after a WOT run (or close to it) it will idle erratically and cut off -- then after I restart I may have to keep the rpms up for a while and the gas light will come on -- after 5 - 7 minutes everything is fine again.

thanks in advance

Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Check your float hinge and make sure it is straight, and the float does not touch the bowl gasket. Make sure their is no trash in the seat, mine has done it in the past on the evo.

Last edited by blue flht; 09-24-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Would a G increase performance? Good question. I have a V107T, which just predates your T111 and mine came stock with a G. Strange that your slightly bigger engine has a smaller carb, but I guess S&S knows what they are doing! If you are serious about improving performance I suggest you talk to HDF sponsor Hillside, but budget for a lot more than a new carb!

Gas coming out of your carb is probably the float needle not working. If your Pingel is not shutting off that makes things worst, but it is not the source of your problem. You need to fix both!

Old 09-25-2012, 04:59 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Agree on that you have two problems here.
The Pingel petcock can be sent in for repair. just FYI.
The float might have a pin hole, or the needle and seat might have to be replaced as well.
The G is for larger motors and will not necessarily improve performance. I suggest that you order a rebuild kit for your E and the kit will bring it back to as good as new.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

thanks guys; really appreciate it.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

yep--I have had 131, two 107(s), 103 and 111 motors--talked to Star Racing they want 6k for total 111 to 124 build -- I'm seriously considering it.
Originally Posted by grbrown
Would a G increase performance? Good question. I have a V107T, which just predates your T111 and mine came stock with a G. Strange that your slightly bigger engine has a smaller carb, but I guess S&S knows what they are doing! If you are serious about improving performance I suggest you talk to HDF sponsor Hillside, but budget for a lot more than a new carb!

Gas coming out of your carb is probably the float needle not working. If your Pingel is not shutting off that makes things worst, but it is not the source of your problem. You need to fix both!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lkr0
yep--I have had 131, two 107(s), 103 and 111 motors--talked to Star Racing they want 6k for total 111 to 124 build -- I'm seriously considering it.
That is rather more of a mod than I had in mind! Chap I know here in the UK has a tuned S&S 124" with 160+hp - he won't say exactly what numbers he gets!

Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you pull off your petcock rinse down the tank with some gas and catch it in a glass jar. If it's filled with debris, identify debris and seek a cure.

Gas tanks have an inner coating that after many years can become floating debris, even strands of it will clog your petcock and cause it to malfunction.

I placed a secondary filter in line and it catches even more than the petcock screen.

A flooding overflow is most likely due to debris in the seat of the shut off valve in the float bowl. Most floats are solid. Some are still tin tanks that can loose their seal and become water (gas) logged and will need replacing. Seats can become gummed up, corroded, or have debris stuck to them. Be certain to clean the seat. I used Brasso and q-tips. I had a handful of q-tips blackened when cleaning mine meaning the rubber like tip on the valve had become impregnated on the seat.

Good luck and be sure to come back and let us know what fixed it for you.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:36 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

i have order carb rebuild kit, pingle petcock and fuel filter; I'll have the mechanic check the tank and clean it out -- hopefully this resolves the problem. thanks for all the suggestions.