Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam, lifters, pushrods and now rocker knock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reduced my engine noise doing these things: put in Smith Brothers adjustable pushrods, Headquarters lifters, Baisley spring, new S&S rockers and shafts. The new rockers reduced end play from .016 to .007". I also went to Castrol GTX oil (was using Amsoil before). My bike is a 107 with Andrews 54H cams. Runs pretty quiet now.(Rockers are non-roller)

Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 AM
buford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
So, how do you like the cam?
Really like them. I had posted a while back in thinking I would push the motor out to 95". But after these cams were installed there is no need.
Really woke the bike up! I'm not a "speedster" on my bike, just like to put on good cruising miles. But it sure is fun throttling thru the corners and feeling and hearing the motor "dig in" and pull!
Now I just wish I didn't hear the top end ticking when I'm cruising.
Based on all the replies, I think I'm going to upgrade the oil pump/pressure this winter.
Hopefully more oil pressure will quiet it down?

pmcburne: You have me thinking when you mention S&S rockers? Outside of oil pressure, I'm curious as to what condition the rockers are in the top end?

Last edited by buford; 10-03-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,339 Likes on 3,275 Posts

Add another 1/2 turn on te PR if they are SE...this is what i did on the advice of my Indy with my 26H and it got quiet.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 PM
nutoy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did woods TW555 cams and fuelmoto quick adjust push rods and set them at 4 turns plus 2 flats as they said in video and still have stock hd lifters and it is nice and quite.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:02 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by buford
Really like them. I had posted a while back in thinking I would push the motor out to 95". But after these cams were installed there is no need.
Really woke the bike up! I'm not a "speedster" on my bike, just like to put on good cruising miles. But it sure is fun throttling thru the corners and feeling and hearing the motor "dig in" and pull!
Now I just wish I didn't hear the top end ticking when I'm cruising.
Based on all the replies, I think I'm going to upgrade the oil pump/pressure this winter.
Hopefully more oil pressure will quiet it down?

pmcburne: You have me thinking when you mention S&S rockers? Outside of oil pressure, I'm curious as to what condition the rockers are in the top end?

Hello, I also recently did cam chest work, 21 cams, Baisley Spring and seat, S&S lifters and adj pushrods, cyco shoes,

My bike was noisy before and it is noisy now. Funny both Road King I have had were 2004 and noisy top ends. I just try and forget about it. Mine is not constant and as the bike warms it becomes more prevalent. Also most noisy around 55-60 MPH in 5th At higher rpm it quiets down. Been using Mobil 1 synthetic for years, maybe different oil will cure it but who cares.

BTW I also went with the Auto tune with a PCV all from fuelmoto and after a couple tuning sessions this bike runs incredibly good, crisp and no popping ever. I was surprised at how much difference the tuning runs made ! On the first ride I was pretty disappointed in my results.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:32 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

This is a two year old thread for those that have read down this far....

Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by buford
Put in new Andrews tw21 cams with new lifters and after couple hundred miles brought it back with the upper rockers ticking/knocking. The mechanic replaced with another set of new lifters and adjustable pushrods. The rocker noise subsided slightly but is still there.
Interesting thing is, it is intermittent. Sometimes there is no rocker noise at all, sometimes they tick and sometimes it knocks. All can happen within 1 mile of cruising. Speed, rpms, on & off the throttle doesn't seem to make any difference.
Anyone have any idea of a fix? Would an upgraded oil pump help with lifter pressure?

Any ideas are extremely welcome!

BTW: I am running HD SE synthetic oil and have been since new.
2001 RK with 70k miles
My valve train noise was annoying to say the least when I ran a synthetic oil. Replace your oil with a good quality racing dino oil then run it for at least 1k miles. Mine took closer to 2k. The valve train noise was reduced to that of my FX that's never had syn oil, don't ask me why. Use a viscosity that falls in line with the MoCo recommended weight for your particular temperatures.
Notation:
Several thousand miles prior I changed the lifters and went to adjustable push-rods which did nothing but cost me $.

Last edited by TUCCI; 12-21-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 PM
Ricksr
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-02-2015, 10:16 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Or the original video where I found the source of the noise...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My 103 has considerable lifter/valve train noise. I chased it around for a while, installed the rocker lockers, and upgraded from Delphi to Johnson lifters, ran the plungers deeper in the lifters, etc, but the noise remains.

I did help it some, but the cams create considerable noise, loudest in the 2200-2700rpm's range.

I've just learned to deal with it, and put enough miles on the engine at this point that I know it's not hurting anything, just going to be the "nature of the beast".

I felt even better about the whole deal when I put the bike on they dyno at a local event, and it cranked out 103hp/103tq, with over 100ft lbs torque across a good portion of the rpm range and torque curve nearly as flat as Kansas!......Cliff