Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam, lifters, pushrods and now rocker knock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM
buford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cam, lifters, pushrods and now rocker knock?

Put in new Andrews tw21 cams with new lifters and after couple hundred miles brought it back with the upper rockers ticking/knocking. The mechanic replaced with another set of new lifters and adjustable pushrods. The rocker noise subsided slightly but is still there.
Interesting thing is, it is intermittent. Sometimes there is no rocker noise at all, sometimes they tick and sometimes it knocks. All can happen within 1 mile of cruising. Speed, rpms, on & off the throttle doesn't seem to make any difference.
Anyone have any idea of a fix? Would an upgraded oil pump help with lifter pressure?

Any ideas are extremely welcome!

BTW: I am running HD SE synthetic oil and have been since new.
2001 RK with 70k miles

Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Buy a good set of ear plugs?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I saw this thread, and not knowing if you saw it or if it would be helpful, I have included the link in the hope it helps:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...am-change.html

Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

What lifters are you using? It could be oil pressure, easily boosted with a stiffer spring in the by-pass in the cam plate. Really though, noise travels through the valve train and what you are perceiving as rocker noise may originate in the cam area. Chains may slap and sound like lifter or rocker noise. It might cost a few dollars, but try Gaterman lifters and Zippers new cam chain tensioners. Let us know how this works for you.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default push rods turns

what kind of push rods did u buy se one recommend 2.5 turns but thta really isnt enough from preload builders in forum have said 3 turns on se one think it worksnout to. 125 to. 130 did this with my 255 cam and was alot quieter than what harley recommended

Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 AM
buford
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys and the link on lifters.
Keithu: I did try some good ear plugs and it made the engine tick louder! (Muffled out the pipes)
Not sure what brand of lifters or pushrods were installed in the bike, but the work was performed by a long term very reputable mechanic and he uses these lifters and pushrods all the time.
Interesting note: he took the first set of new lifters and put them in another bike and that bikes engine was quieter than a mouse!
When I brought it back to him this last time, he felt that the knock wasn't very bad and heard allot worse in many other bikes.
My question keeps popping in the fact that it is intermittent ticking?
Not sure what causes this?
All I know is the ticking/knocking noise is driving me insane!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM
CHIPPDOG77
Cruiser

Dont know what pushrods you used,i used screamin eagle and Star said they are fat and will slightly touch the pushrod tubes and make some noise. I have heard it a little but with my D@D pipe not too much is noticeable hahaha.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

So, how do you like the cam?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:17 AM
gregmay
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I changed the cams in my bike and it has a tick at different rpms, loudest at about 27oo rpms. From what I have read as far as chasing valvetrain noise I will leave it be, I think it is the nature of the beast and no amount of money will eliminate it. Synthetic oil is the loudest, vr1 50 wt above 60 degrees is quieter. I will be switching back to Mobil 1 15w50 soon as it is cooling down. It will be due for an oil change after Daytona anyway.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I put a ERT Products spring kit in the oil pump bypass and it reduced upper engine noise quite a bit, now have 34 to 36 psi while cruising and 8 to 10 at idle, it has to help the engine to get more oil to the top of the motor and to run cooler.

Quick Reply: New cam, lifters, pushrods and now rocker knock?