Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cam or not to cam ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Sarge095
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To cam or not to cam ...

Ok. I want to lay some groundwork before asking my question so it can be more clearly considered.

I have an 09 Ultra Classic that I love. It is set up like I like with lots of extras, many were pretty expensive, and I don't want to trade it in and start over. Also, it only has about 11 k miles. Nearly all of the riding I do on the bike is traveling ... trips. Lots of time on the highway and into the mountains. I do some urban riding, but not a great deal. I never travel 2-up ... always by myself, though I do load the bike up for traveling sometimes.

My only "complaint" on the bike (and I use that term loosely,) is that it has never been overpowered by any stretch of the imagination. It is sufficiently strong, but I have to do some regular downshifting in order to go up to higher elevations, or to do a quick pass at highway speeds, etc.. I have learned to live with it. I've asked a few people if the 103 makes much difference over the 96, and most have said only if you are pulling a trailer or traveling 2-up. They have said that otherwise, the difference is not worth the cost to move up.

Well, this past week I was at a conference in San Diego and I rented a 12 Street Glide for 3 days to ride up the Pacific Coast. To say I enjoyed the SG and the riding would be a tremendous understatement. The difference in the power of the bike ... actually the "grunt" of the bike ... was unbelievable. Much more torque, quick response, the power was very even and useable. Now before you say to me, "Hey ... that was a SG and it is MUCH lighter than a UC, I realize that a significant part of the difference in feel and power was the different bike; however, the 103 was obviously significantly stronger. The SG was stone cold stock and was still amazing.

Ok, back home now, and I have already checked into moving up to a 103. As I said earlier, I am not interested in trading my bike, so I priced a 103 kit at my dealer. Total price including labor is $1200, and I am strongly considering doing it. I was talking to a buddy of mine who rides, and he jumped all over the 103 kit idea and said I was being foolish to spend that money. He said that replacing cams would do more for what I wanted than the 103, and was very adamant about it. I told him my mechanic told me that SE cams didn't really fit the style of riding I do or what I'm looking for in more power, and my friend said that I shouldn't limit my self to SE cams and that there are a lot of others out there that would increase my torque at lower and mid levels for less money, and give me better power than the 103.

Ok. I have no idea about cams, and no idea what to do about all of this. I know I was impressed with the 103, and I feel it would make enough difference in my highway travel to warrant the money ... but my friend has me wondering. So here I am asking for opinions on here. I know, I know, this is probably about as bad as an oil thread, but I value the knowledge and experience I've seen on this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a 103 and a cam while there at it! :-)

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Go with the 103 upgrade, put in a set of SE204 or SE255 cams, get a good tuner like PC-V, Power Vision, TTS Mastertune or SERT and have the bike dyno'ed, that should give you all the grunt down low and in the mid range that you could want, unless you wanna race the bike!...LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Just went with SE 255's on my 09 Ultra didn't see any reason to do anything more drastic until time to rebuild the engine after extended warranty runs out .. Gained about 12 HP and 15 TQ by cams alone tuned with Power Vision .. There are other Cams might want to consider that will give you more .. Am Happy with these although a taste of these has me wanting more .. But can wait til do the 107 Rebuild farther down the line ..

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

103 and cam....then let your buddy with the obviously a 96 eat your dust

Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Groversue
Cruiser

I'm right there with you brother!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

2009 SG 96 ci: Dyno 90 HP and 101 TQ; Wood Perf TW 6-6 cams; SE roller tappets (Upgrading to Wood Perf Directional Roller Lifters); SE adjustable pushrods; SE Stage 1 intake; Kuryakyn Scarab Air Cleaner Cover; SE St Perf Touring mufflers; and SEST.

Last edited by NECaveman; 10-10-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
notrailers
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO: Before you do anything I would measure your crank run out.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

An SE204 or a crane 1-6000 and GOOD tune..........more power,less heat

Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you start, you will always want more. I'd do the 103 kit and a cam so I would not have to wander if I should'a, but that's me.

Quick Reply: To cam or not to cam ...