Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions about full bagger owners, thinking of trading my RKC

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:19 PM
burro237
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about full bagger owners, thinking of trading my RKC

I like my RKC, but there are a lot of times where I wish I had gone for one of the full bagger bikes that come with the hardbags, trunk and fairing like the ultra classic or electraglide. Question is, how hard is it to take the trunk and the back seat off to strip it down so it looks more like a street glide?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:21 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're looking at a new one, they're all quick disconnect.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

The tour pack can be mounted with quick disconnect hardware. One screw at the back of the seat (can be replaced with a ****). But those aren't the only differences and IMO it still won't look more like a Street Glide.
If you like the look of the Street Glide you may be better off buying one and adding the Tour Pack of your choice (there are different sizes/styles).

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on what you want it's cheaper to buy an Ultra and take things off. In my case I wanted lowers, highway lights and saddlebag guards so that's the way I went. If you don't want any of those things then it's probably better to buy a Street Glide.

Attached Thumbnails questions about full bagger owners, thinking of trading my RKC-p1020839.jpg  

Last edited by C908; 10-20-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 10-19-2012, 09:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by The Shute
If you're looking at a new one, they're all quick disconnect.
with an additional kit installed...

or the tour pak can be bolted on/off in about 30 minutes.

the detachable kit makes better sense if your tour pak is on/off several times a year.

here's my 09 FLHTC

streetglide seat, pass pegs and shocks. detached tour pak, added fairing lowers

if you have an 09 road king, why not get a fairing kit for $600 or so. hard saddlebags and a slimmer seat. ?
cheaper than getting a whole 'nother bike

the touring bikes all share major components, the difference is in the plastic hanging off them and the badges and cosmetics.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 PM
burro237
Advanced

Beautiful bike MKguitar, very similar to the one i'm looking at. I've considered keeping my bike as is and adding some of the accessories that the Ultra has, but when you start getting into the cost of a fairing, stereo, trunk, rear speakers, hardbags (which I have come to prefer over the years) bag rails...you're talking a lot of money. And you still wont have all the pretty gauges and stuff that come stock on the Ultra. I would be keeping it set up most of the year like mkguitars pic above, but about 3 times a year my wife likes to ride with me to go camping or to a rally or something. And about once a year I make a week long trip from Texas to LA. It'd be nice to have all those creature comforts for those times, without having to keep it set up like that all year long. Oh BTW, the one I'm looking to trade in on is an 09 Ultra, I want to be able to keep my seat and other accessories I've put on my current bike.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:38 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

If you own a Harley your gonna spend money on it no matter what. Either making an Ultra look like a Street Glide, or a Street Glide to have the extras of an Ultra.
I think I would have saved money by going the ultra direction but love my Street Glide!
Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Harleydaddy
Tourer

Just get the Ultra and strip it down as you like. Sounds like your mind is already made up and you just needed a little push to pull the trigger.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 AM
burro237
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harleydaddy
Just get the Ultra and strip it down as you like. Sounds like your mind is already made up and you just needed a little push to pull the trigger.
Not really, more just playing with the idea for now and seeing if it's do-able. My main question was whether or not removing the trunk/ rear speakers was a giant PITA or not. The only thing I'm 100% convinced of is that I want a fairing w/ stereo, and if not hard bags, then at least locks on my leather bags. Nice bike BTW

Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm very pleased with my RK and QD tourpak. Another advantage IMO, tubeless tires so I can carry fix-a-flat for emer. But, if yer lookin for tunes, then UC's the way to go.

Quick Reply: questions about full bagger owners, thinking of trading my RKC