Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming back to the SSoS (Road Glide)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coming back to the SSoS (Road Glide)

When I picked up my 2012 SG in August of 2011 I finally the quest for my perfect bike had finally ended. I love it. I had tried every flavor that the Touring line had to offer over the years with the exception of the CVO's. I always went back to the SG. It was just meant to be.

Well as we all know life has a strange way of throwing us curve *****.

Back in March I had C-6/C-7 discectomy and spinal fusion surgery. Since then long rides are unbearable. I feel totally beat up and have major neck and shoulder pain after rides due to the buffeting. I have also lost 100lbs in the last year so my body has less resistance to the buffeting. I also think the pressure of the wind against the batwing fairing which radiates into the bars might have something to do with it my pain and fatigue. Nothing scientific to prove that so it may have nothing to do with it. I have tried every configuration of buffeting cures known to man over the last 6 months to try to get a handle on it. Different seats, different helmets, no helmet, different size and shaped shields, fairing wings, fork deflectors, and soft lowers. Many different combinations to make sure one thing was not counter-effecting another. I have been able to get rid of most of it with some combinations which make short rides comfortable. But longer rides in different wind conditions is where it starts to get unbearable. The only thing I didn't try was vented lowers. But having had an Ultra Classic with them I knew already that they didn't cure buffeting at all. For me anyway. In fact they seemed to intensify it in some riding conditions.

Having owned a RG already I knew that they were great handling bikes but they also suffered from buffeting but on a different level. I never wanted to try to cure it back then because I was too stubborn to spend money for cures that I wasn't sure would work. Well I have a buddy who has a 2012 RG and his is set up for buffeting control. Vented lowers, decent shield, updraft deflectors and fork baffle. On a whim (after he offered) I took his bike out for a long ride on a windy day on two different occasions. The results were amazing. Zero buffeting and just a very minimal amount of smooth breeze around my head. It was such a comfortable and forgiving ride. No pain from getting beat up by the wind at all. When we switched back it was a matter of 15 minutes before the buffeting brought back the familiar pain and fatigue.

So I was left with decisions. Deal with the pain. Stop riding. Switch back to a RG set up for buffeting control. My wife had actually been pressing me to sell and stop riding until she saw the results of the RG. I weighed out the options of converting my SG to a RG. It was an option but for the cost it just ends up making more sense to trade/sell than convert. It is pretty much a wash when it comes to the dollars. And a converted bike has substantially decreased value unless you find the right buyer.

So I have a 2013 BBP FLTRX with ABS and cruise on order due to be shipped on November 18th. It is essentially the same exact bike I have now with a different fairing. Which is a good thing. Having bought many bikes from my local dealer I got an outstanding deal as usual. Over $1k off MSRP and $1600 over book on my SG. Plus I get to keep the majority of my parts. Also got a hefty discount on vented lowers and the Daymaker LED headlight both installed as well as a few other perks thrown in.

Still have time to sell the SG before the RG comes in. If I sell it the majority of my add-ons will stay on. If you or anyone you know is interested in a 2012 BBP Street Glide with extras it is for sale right here.

2012 FLHX Street Glide With Extras - Big Blue Pearl

Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
So I have a 2013 BBP FLTRX with ABS and cruise on order

....... welcome home.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You will get MORE wind on the RG

Better to trade it in right now...you'll never sell it...it will sit forever.

~Joe

Old 10-21-2012, 11:44 AM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garemlin,
Can you post a picture of your buddies "Updraft defletor" and "Fork baffle"?
Is the Fork baffle the rounded piece that goes below the triple trees?

Resolving the buffeting on a Road Glide is something I would really like to accomplish.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by traveler
You will get MORE wind on the RG

Better to trade it in right now...you'll never sell it...it will sit forever.

~Joe

I know different. As I stated I put some miles on by buddies RG with a good shield, lowers updraft deflectors and fork baffle and there was almost no wind. What wind was present was smooth air. Not turbulent air. And these were both pretty windy days. The wind was around my helmet and not hitting me in the chest and shoulders. I am fortunate in this situation to be only 5' 8" so am not as high up in the saddle as some riders are.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MJR
Garemlin,
Can you post a picture of your buddies "Updraft defletor" and "Fork baffle"?
Is the Fork baffle the rounded piece that goes below the triple trees?

Resolving the buffeting on a Road Glide is something I would really like to accomplish.
Yes the fork baffle is the half moon piece that mounts under the triple trees. He has the chrome accessory one. I happen to already have the black OEM one that I found brand new on ebay. The black one is an obsolete part now. It used to be OEM on many touring models.

These are the updraft deflectors.

FLTR Wind Deflector Kit

They mount on the crash bar. One side clips to the bar and the other snaps on to the tank bolt.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Rick06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried a Road King?
I have been thinking about buying a RG but the more I hear about buffeting on fairing bikes the more I think I may stay with a Road King. May be why the call them "King".

Last edited by Rick06; 10-21-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rick06
Have you tried a Road King?
I actually had a RK many years ago and loved the rise on it. But I have gotten spoiled with having fairing with full gauges and tunes without adding a bunch of stuff to get it. Don't really care for the detachable options. Besides my preference has always been the cleaner look with no chrome on the fenders.

I did consider a RK as an option and was seriously pondering the new CVO RK. Just a bit out of the budget.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:07 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with the new bike. Riding in pain is no fun.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool. Do what works for you, of course.

Trade in is about hte only way to move a bike quickly these days. They are able to finance it, and it sees a greater audience of buyers, that's how THEY make it work. eBay is chock full of bikes that go the entire bidding period without a single bid.

So....when you swap bikes, you get soaked.

I am sorry to hear of this....as my SG is perfect.

Good luck!

~Joe

Quick Reply: Coming back to the SSoS (Road Glide)