Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller & Auto Tune Module Installation Complete '07 Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller & Auto Tune Module Installation Complete '07 Street Glide

Just wanted to relay my experience with the Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller and ZippersThunder MaxAuto Tune Module. After havingthe initial 1000 mile service done by the dealership on my'07 Street Glide, I noticed the bike was idling ragged due to the "upgraded ECM Calibration program 0903" flash that the dealershipdidunder warranty, not to mention the fact that they overserviced theengine oil.The Bike was running a lot betterbefore that.That was the final straw after years of frustration with dealerships on previous bikes, andled to thedecision to go with the Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller and the Auto Tune Module. John at Zippers was great, and loaded the correct basemapinto the EFI controller. The install was relatively simple for a guywho doesn't do a lot of wrench turning nor has much of a mechanical background. The EFI Controller is a one-for-one replacement for the stock HD ECM and is plug-and-play, and the auto tune module is also plug and play. (Zippers is coming out with an TM EFI controller & auto tune module combined into one unit.) It's a bit tricky to find a place to mount the auto tune module. Finally wrapped it to the TM EFI Controller with electrical tape. The instructions said to mount it behind the ECM caddy, but that was absolutely an unworkable solution onthe bike (probably why they're coming out with a combined unit). The O2 sensors screwed right into the Rinehart True Duals andthe stock O2 sensor wires remainin place and are cappedoff with the end capssupplied. (Leaving the original wiresin placein case I've got to reinstall the stockECM and O2 sensors to get any warranty work done.) Once the EFI controller, Auto Tuner module and O2 sensors were installed,then plugged the computer into the EFI controller and followed the simple directions to initialize the EFI controller and set the IAC curve. The installation took5 hours, butthose more experienced could do it a lot faster. Bottomline, an average joe can do the installation with patience and a decent set of tools and a laptop. As for performance: noticed an immediate and significant improvement in responsiveness, acceleration and smoothness, andthe auto tune module is really dialing in the EFI controller and making the bike run great. The bike nowhauls *** and is super smooth. Will check gas mileage after a couple of tanks.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:01 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller & Auto Tune Module Installation Complete '07 Street Glide

u happy,,, me happy!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller & Auto Tune Module Installation Complete '07 Street Glide

Who has the best price on the complete system? I'm thinking about getting one instead of running my PCIII.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Check with M&M's, they've usually got some pretty good deals. Got mine directly from Zippers, but there's gotta be cheaper prices somewhere. http://www.mandmcycles.com/homepage.htm

Old 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

Best I have seen so far is Zipper's.

This one is refurbished with new electronics and still has a 3 year warranty.

309-330R ThunderMax with AutoTune (to be run in closed loop) $ 729.00

Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I'll give it some more thought. I like the idea of it always adjusting itself for optimum performance. If I sold my PCIII for $200, it wouldn't cost a lotmore than what a dyno tune is going to run once I get this all back together.

I'd need to weld in some O2 bungs though. No big deal, just need to drag up the mig from the basement.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:55 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

"Zippers is coming out with an TM EFI controller & auto tune module combined into one unit."

Now, that makes a whole lot more sense. Will be interesting to see the pricing on a unitized module!

Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Hey David... You may wanna holler @ Steve (GMR) before you pull the trigger on the TMax. He's a DTT TCFI-IID guy & he can give you what you need for setting up "his"/your build.

I got my TCFI-IIDformCyborgCycles.com for $760 ~ new.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:17 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Abnmarine, I ordered one of the Thundermax auto tune reburb's for my bike, $729.00 is a deal with a 3 year warranty and 30 day money back deal! Do you have to have a laptop hooked up to it to install? And does the instrutions say what the min size cpu processor would have to be? I could pick up an old p-2 laptop cheap if that would do it, maybe a 300mhz? [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member

I'll give Steve a call tomorrow and see what he says. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: PhilM

ORIGINAL: Abnmarine

Hey David... You may wanna holler @ Steve (GMR) before you pull the trigger on the TMax. He's a DTT TCFI-IID guy & he can give you what you need for setting up "his"/your build.

I got my TCFI-IIDformCyborgCycles.com for $760 ~ new.

Quick Reply: Zippers Thundermax EFI Controller & Auto Tune Module Installation Complete '07 Street Glide