Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Radio goes from head phone to speaker mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 PM
landslide03
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide Radio goes from head phone to speaker mode

Hey guys,

I have a 2012 Street Glide, I recently changed out my handlebars and ran everything internally through the bars. I have been using the 3.5 mm audio jack to play music through my aux setting on my radio. Recently it will be playing fine then instead of a speaker icon at the lower right hand of the display it will change to a headphone symbol. I tried to unplug it and replug it back in then it seemed to work, but now even if the 3.5mm jack is unplugged it will toggle between the headphone, muting my speakers and then go back to playing through the speakers. I don't think my wiring running it through my handle bars had anything to do with it as it popped up about 300 miles after i swapped the bars. It seems as if the radio thinks i am plugging in a headphone jack instead of the line in.

Any help please, I just didn't want to take it to the dealer and have them say i screwed it up by swapping out the handlebars and charge me full price. Is there a factory reset on these things? Or do i have to clean the socket?

Thanks again!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 PM
landslide03
Advanced

Ok guys after searching around here a little, I did the diagnostics and all the switches work fine. The problem I am having, when i look at it and it just says SPKa there is no audio, if i put the 3.5 MM plug in and jiggle it around a little it displays SPKa and SPKb and the radio works briefly. But without anything plugged it still only displays SPKa and nothing comes out of the speakers. Here are some pictures, any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide Radio goes from head phone to speaker mode-imag0727.jpg   Street Glide Radio goes from head phone to speaker mode-imag0725.jpg   Street Glide Radio goes from head phone to speaker mode-imag0726.jpg  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 PM
landslide03
Advanced

Ok I tried to swab the inside of the 3.5mm jack with rubbing alcohol and a 1tip then dried it out with compressed air, it worked for about 1 min then went back to normal.....any other ideas?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see how an input would change your system from headset to speaker, but if you've replaced your bars I'm assuming you had your fairing off & at some point your radio unplugged.

It would appear to me that you have a loose connection in the back of your unit--you may want to take the front part of your fairing off again and recheck all the connections on the back of the radio. It's possible that by moving the mini plug you're actually moving the radio just enough so you get a little connection.

You say you've checked the switch, you may want to check it again--figure out which wires go where and do a physical jumper between the ones that send the output to the speakers.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Mrballistic13
Novice

I would say it was the crap radio. Just took mine in yesterday and had the radio swapped out under warranty. Checked this forum and a lot of folks had same problem as mine. Radio or ipod would be playing and just go off. No sound but the display showed it was on. Took it to dealer and they said it needed replaced. If warranty is expired and it happens again I will replace with a marine radio.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Mrballistic13
Novice

When it does that try pushing the on off button and see if that works. Thats what I did with mine and it worked again for short periods of time.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a switching circuit failure. If the new bars used aftermarket riser clamps, you may have contact with the bottom of the radio resulting in vibration damage. The fact that it took 300 miles since the bar change to surface is really insignificant. If one of the wires has chaffed and is making intermittent contact, or if there is vibration damage, you will get that defect.
If you disconnect pin 13 from the 23 pin connector at the radio, it will remove the possibility of an intermittent input from the harness. If it continues, you'll know its the radio. If not, you know you have a wiring issue.
The aux port will have no bearing on this defect.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_M
I can't see how an input would change your system from headset to speaker, but if you've replaced your bars I'm assuming you had your fairing off & at some point your radio unplugged.

It would appear to me that you have a loose connection in the back of your unit--you may want to take the front part of your fairing off again and recheck all the connections on the back of the radio. It's possible that by moving the mini plug you're actually moving the radio just enough so you get a little connection.

You say you've checked the switch, you may want to check it again--figure out which wires go where and do a physical jumper between the ones that send the output to the speakers.
Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
Could be a switching circuit failure. If the new bars used aftermarket riser clamps, you may have contact with the bottom of the radio resulting in vibration damage. The fact that it took 300 miles since the bar change to surface is really insignificant. If one of the wires has chaffed and is making intermittent contact, or if there is vibration damage, you will get that defect.
If you disconnect pin 13 from the 23 pin connector at the radio, it will remove the possibility of an intermittent input from the harness. If it continues, you'll know its the radio. If not, you know you have a wiring issue.
The aux port will have no bearing on this defect.
Listen to these two, especially Iron Cross.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
79289Chase
Cruiser

Mine has this issue but I have never paid attention to the icon. I think I have seen the headphones before. Guess I will have to pay attention to it next time it breaks.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM
landslide03
Advanced

Ok guys thanks for your responses. I took off my fairing and checked the connections, everything looked good but i plugged everything back in and out. I also checked and i am using the stock handlebar clamps and the radio is not touching. I put it back together and noticed that the problem with the headphones resolved itself! So i hope this is not a reoccurring problem. Now my new delema is..... I hooked up my phone to the line in jack and it was working great. I started my bike and the entire radio restarted, which was weird because that has never happened to me before. Now on the menu the AUX setting is gone. It just shows the wb, cd, am and fm. What the heck could of caused the AUX setting to disappear. I tried turning it on and off and restarting the bike but nothing helped. Is there a reset or something?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Street Glide Radio goes from head phone to speaker mode