Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave kill switch on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:55 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I know I've heard this somewhere before.. oh yeah, that PhD Tech above... :-)
AKA: "Some guy on the internet".

Old 12-19-2014, 05:33 PM
cm ride
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a kill switch? does my bike have one? just kidding I can say I've never used it on any of my bikes.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:55 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought you always used the control mounted switch at the filling station so you could leave your speakers cranked up and show off your tunes while getting fuel.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I got Master tech in '08

Last edited by harleytuner; 12-19-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I go got Master tech in '08
I always look forward to reading your posts. Sincerely.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I always look forward to reading your posts. Sincerely.
Thank you

Old 12-19-2014, 06:50 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree this has been beaten to death.

In other threads, links have been posted with info from HD that says to use the run/stop switch. I have a key-less system on my 15 and there is no ignition, only the run/stop switch. I'd love to ask the PhD and grey beard all knowing techs that say that toggle switch is to be used in an emergency or it shouldn't be used or what ever reason there is and to use the ignition switch only.

I understand what you have done for years one way or the other and there's no reason to change habits. Kind of like which side of the bike do you get on and off from.

I have yet to see anything official posted on these threads that say it's wrong to do use the run/stop switch. But, I will add that most here are real quick to jump on HD techs and say that they know nothing and won't touch my bike with a 10' pole but will quote them saying they know for sure.

2014 Road King
Shift transmission to neutral before starting engine to prevent accidental movement, which could result in death or serious injury. (00044a)

Turn ignition switch to IGNITION position. Do not roll the throttle.

See Right Handlebar Controls. With the security system fob present, turn the off/run switch to RUN position.

NOTE:
The engine lamp will light for approximately 4 seconds and you will hear the fuel pump purr for approximately 2 seconds as it operates to fill the fuel lines with gasoline.

Raise the jiffy stand (required on international models).

Squeeze the clutch lever in against the handgrip. Shift transmission to neutral.

NOTE:
To activate the starting system, the clutch interlock circuitry requires that the clutch be disengaged. The clutch lever must be pulled in against the left handlebar grip and/or the transmission must be shifted to the neutral position (with the green neutral lamp lit). Apply the brake to prevent movement of the motorcycle.

Press the starter button to start the motorcycle.

When the engine has started, you can operate your motorcycle as you normally would after raising the jiffy stand.

Stopping the Engine

Top of page

Stop the engine by turning the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to OFF.

Turn the ignition switch to OFF. If the engine should be stalled or stopped in any way, turn the ignition switch to OFF at once to prevent battery discharge.

2015 CVO Limited
Shift transmission to neutral before starting engine to prevent accidental movement, which could result in death or serious injury. (00044a)

See Right Handlebar Controls. With the security system fob present, turn the OFF/RUN switch to RUN position. Do not roll the throttle.

NOTE:
The engine lamp will light for approximately 4 seconds and you will hear the fuel pump purr for approximately 2 seconds as it operates to fill the fuel lines with gasoline.

Rotate fork lock switch fully into the unlocked position.

NOTE:
Starter will not operate if fork lock switch is not in unlocked position.

Raise the jiffy stand (required on international models, unless transmission is in neutral).

Squeeze the clutch lever in against the handgrip. Shift transmission to neutral.

NOTE:
To activate the starting system, the clutch interlock circuitry requires that the clutch be disengaged. The clutch lever must be pulled in against the left handlebar grip and/or the transmission must be shifted to the neutral position (with the green neutral lamp lit). Apply the brake to prevent movement of the motorcycle.

Press the starter button to start the motorcycle.

When the engine has started, you can operate your motorcycle as you normally would after raising the jiffy stand.

Stopping The Engine

Top of page

Stop the engine by turning OFF the engine stop switch on the right handlebar.

Take the key fob from the motorcycle to arm the security system and prevent the motorcycle from being turned on or started

Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm just going off my personal experience, what the regional service manager said in '08, what the guy at the Phd school said and what pretty much every mastertech in the industry will say. I have absolutely no desire to get into a pissing match on how to shut off bikes, hell, you could throw it on the ground and let the bank angle sensor kill it for all I care lol. HD knows the run/stop switch is a problem with the TBW bikes, I would imagine that's why they put the ignition on the handle bars on some of the newer models. Just like every time they make a change, they put it on a few select models to get some real world testing, in a year or two they will all have it.

For the record, I've been in INDY shops since '09, dealer prior to that now own a shop.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:19 PM
joe buck
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
Kill switch, ignition switch when I'm parking it, ignition switch, kill switch when I'm ready to roll again. As far as I'm concerned, there's no 'right' or 'wrong' way, it's whatever works for YOU!
That's the way It should be used

Old 12-19-2014, 07:38 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamphunter
Never used the handlebar mounted kill switch myself either. No issues with battery.
Same here. I haven't touched that kill switch on any of the bikes (over 10) I've owned in the last 30 years.

Quick Reply: Leave kill switch on?