Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave kill switch on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never use the kill switch.

Funny story. A couple of months ago, I bought a new bike. The tech guy rode it around to the front of the dealership where the sales guy & I were waiting. Sales guy went over the features of the new scooter and asked if I had any question. I said "no, I'm good to go". I got on the bike and was ready to ride off but it wouldn't start. Took me a little while to remember the ole kill switch - the tech guy had used it when he parked the bike.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
why not get into the habit of locking the ignition switch after you've hit the kill switch and ignition and you wouldn't forget to turn off your ignition? I lock the ignition and the forks every time including at home in my garage.
I do the same.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:34 PM
smokewagon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06strglide
I always use the kill switch and than turn off ignition. once you get in the rountine its automatic
Yeah, that's what I thought two years ago, and mostly it is. BUT every once in awhile, the sun is just right that I don't notice the light, and I've got errands and junkie stuff on my mind, and that ignition switch slips right through.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Harley put that switch on the handle bars like all other motorcycles companys so the ambulance crew knows were to shut it off. Federally mandated. That is not a operator user item and should only be used in emergency.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by smokewagon
Well, I've done it again, cut off the King via the kill switch on the bar and forgotten to turn off the tank-mounted switch, leaving the lights on & killing my battery! When I bought this in '09 the salesperson told me that I shouldn't leave the bar-mounted kill switch on b/c it would drain the battery, and I needed to use them both.
Nothing that I hear coming from the mouths of sales personnel surprises me anymore. Your salesman is full of BS. I've never used the kill switch in my life and never had a battery drain on me. Use the ignition switch only and you'll be fine. The kill switch is demanded by the legal dept. of HD and is mandated by federal safety laws, as you are supposed to be able to operate the bike while the engine is running without removing your hands from the grips. If you feel like that's a safety factor worth following, use the kill switch first followed by the ignition switch every time.

Last edited by iclick; 10-25-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Robert9999
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan conner
no need to use the kill switch...was only meant to be used in an emergency.
+1 that's why all makes and models of bikes. Have them located in the same side, within reach of your thumb.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 PM
joewg3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually use both. It's a habit. I normally hit the kill switch with my thumb so I can coast into my garage and not be too obnoxious. Once I stop I turn off the ignition. I don't normally leave the kill switch on. My RK is an '01 which doesn't require the clutch to be pulled in. The last thing I need is for one of my kids (or myself) to be messing around and turn it on by accident. Like I said... now it's habit so I really don't even notice.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotared
I only use the kill switch if I am parking on an incline and want to leave the bike in gear. Kill switch makes it easier to leave it in gear and shut down on a slope since you can hold both the clutch and front brake in while you shut down and have both your feet are on the ground, then release the clutch and then the front brake. Always have to remember to turn of the main ignition switch too. Almost forgot a couple of times but noticed the light still on.
Yup what he said

Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 AM
warking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Harley put that switch on the handle bars like all other motorcycles companys so the ambulance crew knows were to shut it off. Federally mandated. That is not a operator user item and should only be used in emergency.
not to sure about that. clearly states to be used as part of both start up & shut down procedures in the owners instruction booklet.

on my sporty i have never bothered with the kill switch. its always on/off at the ignition switch. the sporty is a 93 so stuff all electrics. on my rk i always do ignition first and let electronic display think for a sec and then light up, then flick kill switch which sets the efi pump into its whirring noise. i just feel due to the electrics doing this way is best. most probably all in my head though.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by smokewagon
Well, I've done it again, cut off the King via the kill switch on the bar and forgotten to turn off the tank-mounted switch, leaving the lights on & killing my battery! When I bought this in '09 the salesperson told me that I shouldn't leave the bar-mounted kill switch on b/c it would drain the battery, and I needed to use them both. I mostly remember to use both switches, but on average I forget and have drained battery issues at least twice or three times a year.
Can I just leave the kill switch on and only mess with the tank-mounted, or will that really give me trouble with draining the battery??
Good God Almighty. Here we go again. Just use the damn ignition switch to "turn the bike off." I been doing it for 40 years and have not had a problem. Never had a battery drain down this way. And. No. It does not fry you ignition system. Doh.
Sorry people. I just had to add. It ain't ****ing rocket science.

Last edited by OLD 96; 10-26-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Leave kill switch on?