Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave kill switch on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:51 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

2 year old thread, urban myths abound.

The kill switch was installed on bikes so that you or an EMT could shut off you bike in a crash. Ignition keys are located in different places and can be anywhere on a bike.

I use the ignition switch. Always. I do not shut off my bike until it is stopped and the kickstand down. Anyone can dream up scenarios where they can use their kill switch. So what. If you are happy, you do it your way. Just do not try to tell me it is the right way.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GCSuper
You brought up a two year old thread for that ?

Wonder how many clicks he uses on his gas cap?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
On TBW bikes you should always shut the bike down with the main ignition. IF you want to use both use the kill switch AFTER the main. These bikes are like shutting down computers. In the TBW bikes their are 2 sensors (TGS and TPS), these 2 sensors work with each other and the voltages they each have always should be 5VDC (i.e. 1 at .7 and the other at 4.3). If you do a soft shut off of your bike (kill switch) it is possible that the voltages will be in transition and the bike will have a bad idle. When you shut the bike off with the ignition switch it shuts all the systems off at the same time.
B I N G O ... Finally a correct answer ... and to all the old school riders ( I've been on two wheels for over 50 years ) with the smart responses ... You really can teach an old dog new tricks :>)

Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have heard that not using the kill switch can lead to corrosive deposits forming on the contacts that cause no-start isues. Folks have recommneded at least occassional use to avoid the buildup.

Last edited by jefla; 12-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:13 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I might have used a kill switch 3 times in my 55+ years of riding. Never really understood why bikes have them in the first place anyway. AFAIK no other motor vehicle has one, so why bikes?

Hmmm mull this over a moment and the answer becomes clear.

Kill switch on bars maybe because if you had a stuck throttle the bike could be wildly accelerating and removing your hand to switch the machine off could cause you to wreck.

Developing the habit of using the bar kill switch could potentially save a life, injuries and damaged bikes.

Ya ya I know all you folks never have used it and never will and NEVER had need of it blah blah blah

Same thing with the clutch safety switch.

FWIW I always find myself using the tank main switch to shut off, must be the years on old shovels with crappy handlebar switches or none at all.

We all know what opinions are like.

Have fun

Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM
14Glide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The only time I ever use the kill switch is when I want to turn my engine off

Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Glide
The only time I ever use the kill switch is when I want to turn my engine off
Perfect !!

Old 12-18-2014, 02:18 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ..shutting down your motor...

I'll let the MoCo speak for themselves:

Page 34 owners manual: ENGINE STOP SWITCH *see figure 6

The engine off/run switch is located on the right handlebar control group.

The engine off/run switch turns the ignition ON or OFF, and should be used at all times to stop the engine, especially in an emergency.

1. To stop the engine push the engine ON/OFF switch to position marked OFF.

2. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. *See figure 4.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,394 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Also states in owner's manual to NOT use any aftermarket parts - must be lots of people that skip that page...

Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
I'll let the MoCo speak for themselves:

Page 34 owners manual: ENGINE STOP SWITCH *see figure 6

The engine off/run switch is located on the right handlebar control group.

The engine off/run switch turns the ignition ON or OFF, and should be used at all times to stop the engine, especially in an emergency.

1. To stop the engine push the engine ON/OFF switch to position marked OFF.

2. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. *See figure 4.
What year is the manual you are looking it? When I wrenched at a dealer years ago we were having this discussion with our regional dealer rep (08 or 09) and he was saying that they were trying to get the manuals shut down procedure changed. Not sure if they ever did or not.

The main thing to know if you are using your run/kill switch to shut off your bike is to let the bike come to a complete idle before killing it. There was a service bulletin back in '08 for high idle problem, they bulletin had us cycle the ignition on and off several times to get the idle to re-set. What was happening is people were killing their bikes with the run switch and not letting the idle settle down, if the 2 sensors I was referring to in my earlier post (TPS and TGS) don't equal 5 VDC between them they they will reset to what it was last know. In other words if you soft kill your bike (run/kill switch) and the bike is not at a normal idle the 2 sensors might be adjusting and not be at 5 VDC, it can result in an ab-normal idle and need to be re-set. Worse case scenario it can put your bike into limp mode.

Quick Reply: Leave kill switch on?